Wednesday, May 28, 2008

CHALLENGE: 2nd Canadian Book Challenge, Eh?


"Starting July 1st, 2008 and running to July 1st, 2009, I challenge you to read (and write about) 13 Canadian books (by Canadians and/or about Canadians)."


John is at it again, planning another spectacular Canadian book challenge extravaganza. We had so much fan this past year, reading our Canadian books (either by, or about.) There were puzzles for prizes (I won a book), and the coolest monthly wrap-ups on the blogosphere. Last time I read the White Stripes Way - 13 books one for each province. While I enjoyed that last time, I will try a different method this time. John has 13 different options for choosing your books. Get it, 13?

This time, I was thinking about trying:
2. The Prize Pack- Books that have won awards (Gillers, Governor General, Stephen Leacock, etc)
or
6. The Double Double- Pick 13 books that also fit the criteria for another book Challenge that you've signed up for.
or
7. The McClung- How about 13 Canadian books written by women?

I love the names john comes up with for the challenges! It makes me want to pick the double double just for the name. I think I'm planning to pick books from award nominated Canadian authors or books I've mean meaning to read. And many will be used on other challenges, so it's almost a double double, which seems appropriate because I never actually order a double double.

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson
The Birth House by Ami McKay
Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson
Exit Lines by Joan Barfoot
The Outlander by Gil Adamson
The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards
No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod
The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence
High Spirits by Robertson Davies
Too Close to Home - Linwood Barclay
Remembering the Bones - Frances Itani

Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry
another Giller winner, maybe Barney's Version
King Leary by Paul Quarrington
Lost Highway by David Adams Richards
View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro

4 comments:

  1. Ooo, Alice Munro--any of her short story collections are wonderful. She's really a master of the art of the short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the press!

    Loved Oryx and Crake and No Great Mischief. A Complicated Kindness and Stone Diaries were pretty decent, too. I didn't read The Stone Angel but LOVED A Bird In The House and the Diviners, so maybe I should. Someone just gave me a copy of King Leary so maybe I need to add that one to my challenge next time as well. Whew. Can't recommend a Munro though (I've read three by her and disliked all, so I'm sworn off her forever). Oh, and YES, YES, YES read Barney's Version. That and No Great Mischief are two favourites. Boy, you caught me on a particularly rambling night. Must be the caffeine in the double, double (which I never order either).

    ReplyDelete
  3. amy - I'll keep my eye out. I should check the school library, they had some Laurence, I'll bet they have Munro as well.

    john - I'm excited about my picks, and I didn't even list a Coupland, but I'll probably try to read one of his as well. thanks for all the recs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books you've picked! Though I think I'd better go check what he is up to since I signed up, but the pile of books I have picked might not fit the new themes of the challenge! lol I'm still at 9 books read, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)