Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CHALLENGE: Complete Booker Challenge



The Complete Booker is a blog for readers interested in reading the Man Booker prize books. It is a perpetual project to read the winner, short-listed, and long-listed books. Laura, the organizer, has decided to host a little reading challenge to provide a little incentive to people. More details and sign-up here. There are several levels to pick from. Some people are so hard-core, they are going to try all the levels. I'm not that crazy hard-core, I'm just going to try to read some of the winning books I have already bought and are sitting in my home.



  • the challenge runs from January 1 - December 31, 2010.





  • There are several levels of participation:




  • Winners Circle: read at least 6 winners
    Contender: read at least 6 shortlisted nominees
    Longshot: read at least 6 longlisted nominees
    Booker Devotee: choose a year, and read all 6 shortlisted works from that year
    Booker Fanatic: choose a year, and read all 13 long- and shortlisted works from that year
    • Overlaps with other challenges are permitted.
    • Book selections don't have to be posted right away, and lists may be changed at any time.
    • SIGN UP using Mr. Linky below. Please link directly to a specific post about this challenge.
    • Post your reviews


    The first Man Booker challenge was hosted by Dewey, and I still have the button from that challenge. That was two years ago now. Sigh. I don't think she'd mind if I reuse this.

    Here's my list of hopeful reads for next year:
    Winners Circle
    1. The English Patient 1992
    2. The True History of the Kelly Gang 2001
    3. Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre 2003 02/25
    4. How Late it Was, How Late 1994
    5. The Line of Beauty 2004
    6. ? 2010 winner
    If I decide to read shortlisted, these are the Contenders:
    1. The Bookshop, Penelope Fitzgerald 1978
    2. Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont - Elizabeth Taylor 1971
    3. The Secret River - Kate Grenville 2006
    4. The Glass Room - Simon Mawer 2009
    5. Room - Emma Donaghue short list 2010
    6. shortlist 2010 ? The Long Song - Andrea Levy
    Here's a longshot list, if I decide to go this way, because I like lists:
    1. What Was Lost, Catherine O'Flynn 2007
    2. February, Lisa Moore 2010
    3. Trespass, Rose Tremain 2010

      3 comments:

      1. Thanks for joining the challenge! I'm glad to have you as part of the community and am looking forward to following your reading!!

        ReplyDelete
      2. You're right - I'm crazy! I do enjoy reading the Bookers though. Hopefully I'll discover a few great books this year.

        ReplyDelete
      3. laura - it's good to have a challenge now and then to make sure booker books get read. I have 5 of them here already.

        jackie - it's crazy in a good way! You did so well this year.

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

      (I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)