Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CHALLENGE: Complete Booker Challenge

The Complete Booker is a blog for readers interested in reading the Man Booker prize books. It is a perpetual project to read the winner, short-listed, and long-listed books. Laura, the organizer, has decided to host a little reading challenge to provide a little incentive to people. More details and sign-up here. There are several levels to pick from. Some people are so hard-core, they are going to try all the levels. I'm not that crazy hard-core, I'm just going to try to read some of the winning books I have already bought and are sitting in my home.

  • the challenge runs from January 1 - December 31, 2010.

  • There are several levels of participation:

  • Winners Circle: read at least 6 winners
    Contender: read at least 6 shortlisted nominees
    Longshot: read at least 6 longlisted nominees
    Booker Devotee: choose a year, and read all 6 shortlisted works from that year
    Booker Fanatic: choose a year, and read all 13 long- and shortlisted works from that year
    • Overlaps with other challenges are permitted.
    • Book selections don't have to be posted right away, and lists may be changed at any time.
    • SIGN UP using Mr. Linky below. Please link directly to a specific post about this challenge.
    • Post your reviews

    The first Man Booker challenge was hosted by Dewey, and I still have the button from that challenge. That was two years ago now. Sigh. I don't think she'd mind if I reuse this.

    Here's my list of hopeful reads for next year:
    Winners Circle
    1. The English Patient 1992
    2. The True History of the Kelly Gang 2001
    3. Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre 2003 02/25
    4. How Late it Was, How Late 1994
    5. The Line of Beauty 2004
    6. ? 2010 winner
    If I decide to read shortlisted, these are the Contenders:
    1. The Bookshop, Penelope Fitzgerald 1978
    2. Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont - Elizabeth Taylor 1971
    3. The Secret River - Kate Grenville 2006
    4. The Glass Room - Simon Mawer 2009
    5. Room - Emma Donaghue short list 2010
    6. shortlist 2010 ? The Long Song - Andrea Levy
    Here's a longshot list, if I decide to go this way, because I like lists:
    1. What Was Lost, Catherine O'Flynn 2007
    2. February, Lisa Moore 2010
    3. Trespass, Rose Tremain 2010


      Laura said...

      Thanks for joining the challenge! I'm glad to have you as part of the community and am looking forward to following your reading!!

      farmlanebooks said...

      You're right - I'm crazy! I do enjoy reading the Bookers though. Hopefully I'll discover a few great books this year.

      raidergirl3 said...

      laura - it's good to have a challenge now and then to make sure booker books get read. I have 5 of them here already.

      jackie - it's crazy in a good way! You did so well this year.