Tuesday, June 19, 2007

CHALLENGE: 2nds Challenge

Joy can't get enough of hosting these challenges. As soon as the Nonfiction Five ends, she is planning a 2nds challenge . For everyone discovering new authors and wanting to read another one, this is the challenge for you. The challenge is to pick three books, to be read from October through December, of an author you have read one book previously. This is so easy for me. I went to examine my stack of books beside my bed and immediately found three books that fit this challenge. There are many more I can think of, so I'm copying Jill, and making an alternate list as well. From my shelf:
  • The Plague by Albert Camus ( I read The Stranger and really enjoyed it)
  • Monkfish Moon by Romesh Gunesekera ( I read The Reef)
  • In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant ( I loved The Birth of Venus)

    My alternate list includes, but not limited by:

    • Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (I read Half of a Yellow Sun)
    • The Boleyn Inheritance by Philipa Gregory ( Loved The Other Boleyn Girl)
    • Number the Stars by Lois Lowry * a Something About Me choice (I read The Giver)
    • something by Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)
    • The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep)
    • Miss Julia Takes Over by Ann B Ross (Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind)
    • The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera ( I read Ignorance)
    • another book by Orhan Pamuk ( I read Istanbul )
    I could keep going. Other than the Sarah Dunant novel, all these are from this year. I've discovered so many great authors this year!

    8 comments:

    1. I really liked "In Company of the Courtesan" and the "Birth of Venus." I see "The Boleyn Inheritance" also made the alternate list! I'll be curious to know what you think. This is fun, isn't it? =)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great list!! I have so many challenges going on right now, I'm never going to finish them!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I like your list. I noticed that you read The Giver for your other challenge, and then put Number the Stars as an alternate for this 2nds Challenge. Have you read Gathering Blue, which is the sequel to The Giver?

      ReplyDelete
    4. I loved the Unbearable Lightness of Being. I tried to start "Snow" by Pamuk, but I couldn't get into it. I have it listed for a few challenges, so I guess I'll get to it sooner or later. Perhaps it says something that you read one of his books and want to read another? I love Jodi Picoult (I've heard Vanishing Acts is one of her better ones, but I haven't gotten to it yet).

      ReplyDelete
    5. I would really like to do this, but I'm doing 7 challenge! When does this start? Maybe one of my others will have ended by then.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I've had The Plague on my TBR shelves for ages but I've never read anything else by Camus.

      Nice list!

      ReplyDelete
    7. So glad you are going to join us! I like the idea of sharing the first book read. :) We still have a few months to go, but it's fun to plan. Happy Reading!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Great list. I haven't read any of them so I will be looking forward to your reviews.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

    (I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)