This challenge is sponsored by Joy at Thoughts of Joy... and these challenges are a great way to meet new people and read more books. My list, as of March, includes:
- Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel. I've been wanting to read this ever since I saw the Galileo museum in Florence. Galileo's daughter was his only child to carry on his scientific legacy and this book is some of their correspondence. I also read Sobel's book Longitude this year and really like it too.
- Assasination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. I've seen Vowell on The Daily Show and she's very funny.
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. After watching the Capote movie, I've been interested in reading this book. It's also on the Banned Book List.
- Zlato's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajavo I found this book on the library catalogue as I was looking for translated books for the Reading Across Borders Challenge. It looked interesting, so it's still on my to-be-read list.
- The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson This book came along and I couldn't pass up the chance to read it. I planned to read one book per month, but I guess I got ahead. Excellent and fascinating.
- Wild Swans: 3 Daughters of China This fits my Reading Across Borders Challenge, and it is on the Banned Book List. Edit (April 25): This book is making me nervous. I don't know if I can do it. Everytime I look at it in the library, I don't like the look of it. And it's big. And it's on the list of books most not finished that I saw on a British site somewhere. So, I think I will remove it and put on either Running With Scissors by Austen Burroughs or Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. I'll check and see what the deal is on changing books, and when the list must be finalized.
That's the list for now. I have some other nonfiction books that I'd eventually like to read as well, but these five will be a good start.
Possible Alternate Books: added as I find other good books
The Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson or any of his other books
Reading Lolita in Tehran - Nafisi
The Bookseller of Kabul - Seierstad
Teacher Man - Frank McCourt
Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs