Monday, February 7, 2011

CHALLENGE: Book Awards V

Michelle says:
Thanks to all those who participated in the first four book awards challenges!! Are you up for a fifth? The challenge for Book Awards V will last for 10 months, from February 1 through December 1, 2011.

Rules:
  1. Read 5 books from 5 different awards during February 1, 2010 through December 1, 2010.
  2. Overlaps with other challenges are permitted.
  3. Choices don't have to be posted right away, and lists may be changed at any time.
  4. 'Award winners' is loosely defined; make the challenge fit your needs.
To join, go to the Book Awards V Challenge.

Some awards I might try:
Man Booker - True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey
Pulitzer - Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegnar
Newbery -The Single Shard
Giller - Alice Munro
Orange Prize - Larry's Party by Carol Shields
Agatha Award - The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
Bram Stoker Award - Duma Key by Stephen King
Carnagie Medal - Just in Case by Meg Rosoff
Edgar Award - Citizen Vince by Jess Walter
The Gold Dagger - The Broken Shore by Peter Temple (2007)

What I read:
1.Carnagie Medal 2007
Just in Case by Meg Rosoff
2. Agatha Award 2009
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
3. Orange Prize 1996
A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore
4. CWA Gold Dagger 2007
The Broken Shore by Peter Temple
5. Man Booker 2011
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

4 comments:

  1. Hi Raidergirl!
    I'm so pleased whenever you drop by my blog and always wonder why I don't come visit here more often.

    Hey, interesting challenges! I'll have to think about taking some of those on. My bookclub toyed with 'Best Laid Plans' but went with 'Birth House' from the Canada Reads list instead.

    We also chose one from a friend of a member, soon to be released 'The Water Rat of Wanchai' also soon to be a movie apparently, with potential impact like the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo impact. We'll see!

    Your semi colon post was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand the appeal of this challenge: such versatility.

    Which Munro are you thinking of trying? Do you think it would fit with my seemingly-endless project of reading her through, start to finish? But I'm still in her first collection, so the Giller is many stories ahead I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you posted about this; I signed up when I saw your blog. It's been years since I last participated. I'm wondering what I'll read, you're far more organized than I, but there are always Pulitzers calling my name among others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)