Main Challenge Rules:
*The Orbis Terrarum Challenge begins March 1 2009(you are welcome to join later) through the end of 2009.
*For the challenge each reader is to choose 10 books (for the 10 months).
*Each book must from a different country, I have decided to go by the country of origin of the author, or the country he/she lives in is fine as well.
*You don't have to have a list, that means you can change your mind at any time. As long as there are 10 from 10 different countries, written by 10 different authors: Anything goes
There is so much going on over at the Orbis Terrarum Blog, I can't even begin to explain. Go check it out: Multiple mini challenges involving movies, poems, short stories and anything else you can think of to suggest. It is a very interactive challenge; the map was my favorite part last year. Bethany filled in the countries as each was read. This year she has posted links to all the reviews from last year, by country, beside their flag. It looks awesome! Plus, it is an instant list of suggested books to read.
I'll begin to make a list of possible books as we get closer to the start date.
- Egypt: Moon Tiger - Penelope Lively
- Afghanistan: Kabul Beauty School - Deborah Rodriguez
- Malaysia: Map of the Invisible World - Tash Aw
- China: Sky Burial - Xinran
- Colombia: Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia- Marquez
- Cuba: Dancing to Almendra - Mayra Montero
- Iceland: Arctic Chill - Arnaldur Indridason
- Brazil: December Heat- Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza
- Italy: Excursion to Tindari - Andrea Camilleri
- Lebanon: DeNiro's Game - Rawi Hage
- Japan: The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yoko Ogawa
- Hungary: The Rebels - Sandor Marai
Short Story Mini-Challenge:
Katrina is going to host a mini challenge to read ten short stories from ten different countries, during the summer months. I have a book of short stories, each set in a different African country, which will give me half of this challenge. I'll give this mini-challenge a go, because I do like reading short stories.
From Say You're One of Them by Uwen Akpan
1. Kenya: "An Ex-mas Feast"
2. Rwanda: "My Parent's Bedroom"
3. Gabon: "Fattening in Gabon"
4. Nigeria: "Luxurious Hearses"
5. Ethiopia: "What Language is That?"
From The Japanese Wife by Kunal Basu
6. India: "The Japanese Wife"