Sunday, January 6, 2008

CHALLENGE: Hometown Challenge

I'm from little old Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island:








No, no, no, Charlottetown does not look like that.

Ah, that's more like it. Callista had a great idea to read a book either set in your hometown, or written by someone from your hometown. I've got two choices:

1. So Long, Jackie Robinson by Nancy Russell

Nancy lives here and wrote this children's book (9-12 yrs) sport book about Jackie Robinson breaking into the majors in Montreal in the 1950s. I bought this for my son for Christmas; he's a sports nut.

2. Lorelei by Lori Derby Bingley

Lori grew up on the street behind me and I was friends with her older brother, who now works with my husband. Lori is also the Sparks/Brownie leader for my daughter and is an author of several novels. I'd like to read one of her books.

I have from November 1, 2007 to March 1, 2008 to read my book or two.

Here's a real picture of Charlottetown on the harbour front


6 comments:

  1. Love the lupins. They say PEI ;) Charlottetown is such a pretty little spot. Can't wait to go there again. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty picture of Charlottetown! It's so much fun to read local authors and all the better that you know one of them! Very Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awful pretty town. I've always wanted to live near the water. Only two authors from that area, though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. chris - My grandmother form Calgary loved to see the fields of lupins when she would visit.

    paula - thanks, I live about two kilometers to the right and back from that picture.

    kookie - there is lots of water here! I don't think it's possible to live more than 20 minutes from a beach anywhere on PEI.
    There are lots of authors. I even forgot to mention the book my mother and grand-aunt wrote about the family geneology - It's the Askin in you! I'm sure to read that as well as I got one for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture is just gorgeous...it takes my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhh... I want to come back and visit again. Only much longer this time. Beautiful Charlottetown.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)