Thursday, June 26, 2008

WEEKLY GEEKS: Challenge Updates (week #9)

Do you go to the new releases at the book store or the mark down table? Myself, I love a bargain. So I am going to take advantage of Dewey's mark down sale at the Graphics Novels Challenge. [Cue used-car salesman pitch] If you join now, you only have to read three, I said three, graphic novels. [end of commercial] I can do that in six months. I will read three graphic novels.

1. Maus I and Maus II - Art Spiegelman
2. The Borden Tragedy - Rick Geary
3. American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang
4. something else I can find at the library: Pedro and Me - Judd Winick


What else is new in my challenge situation? I've finished quite a few already:
Once Upon a Time II -done 5 just got done under the wire
novellas challenge - done 6
Canadian Book Challenge - done 13
Series Challenge - done 3 series completed,
Man Booker Challenge - done 6
Book Award Challenge - done 23
What's in a Name? - done 6
Austen Mini-Challenge - done 1 + 3 movies
YAC books - done 12
Themed Reading Challenge - done 8
Hometown Challenge -done 2
The Eponymous Challenge - done 4

Challenges I am close to finishing or working on:
Southern Reading Challenge 2008 May 15 - Aug 15 I've got 2/3 done, and Miss Julia is on order at the library. Maggie is the most awesomest hostess; Southern hospitality, y'all.

It's the End of the World - May - Sept 15, 2008 nothing done yet. 3 to read.

Nonfiction Five 2008 May 1 - Sep 30, 2008 2/5 done, but one per month is the schedule

Heard It Through the Grapevine May 1 - Nov 30, 2008 2/3 I started my last book here, and it is really good so far, so I'm just about done this challenge. Kookiejar raved about Heart Shaped Box. This was the easiest challenge, because based on my high quality reader friends, every book has been terrific!

342745 Ways to Herd Cats May 1 - Nov 30 2/3 done. One more to go. If I read Somethng Wicked This Way Comes, it will also be a 1950s for the decades challenge.

Orbis Terrarum Challenge April 1 - Dec 20, 2008 5/9 No problem here so far. I've liked this one a lot.

chunkster challenge 2 Jan - Dec 20, 2008 3/4. It will get done eventually.

A - Zed Author and Titles Challenge all year 2008 Titles: 23/26 woo hoo!
Authors: 19/26 this one is tougher

African Reading Challenge - all year 2008 4/6.

decades challenge - all year 2008 still have to read: 1990s, 60s, 50s, 30s, 20s, 10s.
I may have to join the Classics Challenge yet, since the books I'm missing would fit in nicely.

in their shoes - all year 2008 6/8. And I have a few on hand here.

Cardathon Challenge - all year 2008 8 read. essentially done, but I'd like to read a Card book. I just got Speaker for the Dead from the library for the summer.

notable books 2007 - all year 2008 6/8 Heart-Shaped Box goes here too.

In the Pub - all year 2008 8/8, I just finished Mudbound

mini-challenges 2008 11/12 just looking for a book event on PEI to attend. With the 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables, I should be able to find something here.

Science Book Challenge - all year 2008 1/3. I bought 2 physics books for the summer, also my Nonfiction 5 books.

888 challenge: 51/64 with 4 of the categories completely finished


I'm in 4 ongoing challenges: read the Pulitzers, read the Bookers, Around the World in 80 books and Booking around the States. My status:
Pulitzers: 8 read, none this year
Booker: 8 in total, 3 from this year
Around the World: 31 in total, 8 from this year
Booking the States: 17 total, 6 from this year


I haven't started any of these yet:
A Well-Rounded Challenge - July 1 - Dec 31, 2008
1% Well Read Challenge May1 '08 - Feb '09
Soup's On! April 1, 2008 - March 31, 2009
Book Awards Challenge II Aug 1 - June 1, 2009
2nd Canadian Book Challenge, Eh? starts July 1, 2008

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness--you could contend with Wendy (Caribousmom) for the most challenges entered! :) You sure I can't tempt you with my classics challenge starting in a week? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maggie - any time.

    trish - I'm not the hugest fan of the classics. I am often disappointed, but you may see me there yet. It's not you, it's the books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracious. That's a lot of challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)