Monday, November 3, 2008

CHALLENGE: Unread Author Challenge, the second

The Unread Author Challenge began a while ago, but I think I can still do it.

The rules:
The challenge will run from August 1, 2008 to January 31, 2009. You may join at any time before or during those six months.
During those six months, read at least SIX books by an author whose work you have never read before.
You may choose six different "unread" authors to introduce yourself to, or you may choose just one or two and explore their work in greater depth.
Authors may be drawn from any genre of literature. The only requirement is that they be authors whose work you substantially regret not having read yet.
Your choices may overlap with other challenges you have underway.


I'm a little late for this one, but I easily found six authors from August until now that I have already read that are new to me, such as Margaret Laurence, Robertson Davies, Carol Shields and Geraldine Brooks. I expect that there are at least 6 more that I can read between now and January that fit this category.

Some possible authors include:

Linwood Barclay - Too Close to Home Nov 11/08
Michael Chabon - Gentlemen of the Road Nov 29/08
Zora Neal Hurston - Their Eyes Were Watching God Dec 8/08
Haruki Murakami - After Dark Dec 20/08
Rose Tremain - The Road Home Jan 9/09
PG Wodehouse - Ukridge Dec 27/08

Jhumpa Lahiri
John Green
Marion Keyes
Maria de Los Santos
Kate Grenville
Alice Munro - The View from Castle Rock
Urgula LeGuin
and who knows who else may appear on my list?