Wednesday, December 1, 2010

CHALLENGE: 2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge


Bev Hankins is trying her hand at hosting her first reading challenge, and it's for mystery readers.

From her blog:
Introducing: The 2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge. A challenge for all you mystery lovers out there who already love mysteries from the years prior to 1960 and also anyone who's ever thought, "I should give Agatha Christie (Dorothy L Sayers...Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...etc) a try."

*Challenge runs from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011. Sign up any time between now and November 30, 2011.

*No matter what level you choose, please try at least two different vintage authors.

*Some suggested authors include: Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham, Dorothy L Sayers, Earl Derr Biggers, Georgette Heyer, Edmund Crispin, Cyril Hare, Ellery Queen, Elizabeth Daly, Cyril Hare, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ngaio Marsh, S. S. Van Dine, Philip MacDonald, Rex Stout, Phoebe Atwood Taylor, Josephine Bell, Josephine Tey, Frances & Richard Lockridge, Michael Innes and Stuart Palmer. (Please remember that some of these authors published after 1960 as well--so keep an eye on the original copyright date.)

Head over to the blog for more information and to sign up. Here's the page for linking any reviews.

Challenge Levels:

In a Murderous Mood: 4-6 Books
Get a Clue: 7-9 Books
Hot on the Trail: 10-12 Books
Capture the Criminal: 13-15 Books
Take 'Em to Trial: 16+ Books

OR
The Golden Age Girls: Read 5-7 books from female authors from the vintage years
Cherchez Le Homme: Read 5-7 books from male authors from the vintage years

I thought I would try In a Murderous Mood, but when I looked at the authors I'd like to read ( Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham or Dorothy Sayer) it appears I'm reading The Golden Age Girls.I especially like the name of that level.

The Golden Age Girls read
1. Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie (pub in 1935)
2. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (pub in 1940)
3. Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie (pub in 1938)
4. The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie (pub in 1960)
5.

3 comments:

  1. I won't be joining the challenge, but I do hope to read more old mysteries this year. I began the Albert Campion series, but haven't progressed. I haven't read any Marsh at all. And of course, dear Agatha awaits me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. charley commented: After reading your post, I went over to Bev's site and joined up for the challenge.

    Bev commented: Welcome to the Vintage Reading Challenge! I really hope you enjoy the books you pick out. I'm glad to see that this genre is appealing to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an awesome challenge...I'm starting to get challenge fever :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)