Saturday, March 28, 2009

CHALLENGE: Herding Cats II: Attack of the Hairballs



Follow the links to renay's place to get more detailed information. She really is herding cats with this one - last year I think there were over 300 600 books on the reading list.

Here are the rules Herding Cats II (April 1st, 2009 - December 31st, 2009):

1. Make a list of five books you love. Directions:

  • Five. I'm as serious as a beached whale.
  • All titles must be books you've read in 2007, 2008 or 2009.
  • Please don't list a series; just the first book. If you really want to list a book in the middle of a series, you can, but it has to be that specific book.
  • Feel free to share why you're putting the book on your list, because I am nosy.

2. Post your list:

  • in your own journal, in the comments here, whatever is fine. Share the list here.
  • Lists should be public (no locked entries, no logging in to view).

3. Browse the new book list. Stay a while. Read a few (eta: if you want; not even reading is required this time around if you don't have time to commit to a new challenge but still want to share your favorites).

4. If you review your books, you can share the reviews. You know, if you want. No pressure. Definitely not.

I did this challenge last year, but we were allowed to list 10 books. I guess with the economy the way it is, everything is cut back. Even the reading requirements are less, as reading is actually optional this year. I know once I see that big fat juicy list of books I won't be able to resist, but I'll save my decision of how many books I want to read until later. Here's a list of books I'd recommend to read as I really enjoyed each one in the past reading year, and each is very different, representing my eclectic reading style.

1. Crow Lake - Mary Lawson
Canadian novel about growing up and perspective and disappointing family and bleak Canadian landscape.

2. The Blinding Absense of Light - Ben Tahar Jalloun
Imagine being in a hole in the ground in Morocco for a couple of years - if it doesn't kill you, you will leave with a heightened spiritual awareness.

3. Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer
When the moon is struck by an asteroid, the Earth's weather patterns are thrown way out of whack, and this young adult book follows one family's strugle to survive in a pretty scary world. You will stock your pantry after reading this one.

4. The Outlander - Gil Adamson
A 'widow by her own hand' is hunted by her ex brothers-in-law in early 1900s western Canada. I thought this one should have won Canada Reads, but then I haven't read the winning book yet so I'm just reacting to my response to this book, which I really enjoyed. Makes you appreciate how far women's rights have come in 100 years.

5. Beat the Reaper - Josh Bazell
Crazy wild ride of a book. May not be for everyone, but imagine Dr House in witness protection, and then trying to save himself. Rude, crude and funny, you may not be interested in getting to a hospital any time soon.

The Ones I've Read Since It Started:
1. The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg rec'd by Mercy's Maid
2. Skellig by David Almond rec'd by Mariel
3. Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver rec'd by jenny simpson
4. The Houskeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa rec'd by 3M, a book lover
5. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen rec'd by jenny simpson
6. Sacred Cows by Karen Olson rec's by literary feline
7. Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale rec'd by pussreboots
8. The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly rec'd by freshinkbooks

Books that are on the list (so far) that I may tackle:
The End of the Alphabet by C.S. Richardson
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden rec'd by freshinkbooks
Geek Love by Katharine Dunn
Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

9 comments:

  1. Do you know how many books you've added to my list? =) I can't wait to read them and see what you pick to read.

    Vasilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Crow Lake sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I'll probably try to read Crow Lake and Outlander, both of which have been on my tbr for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE Crow Lake! I really want to read The Outlander, but it is the most popular of the Canadian Reads at the library right now. (Well, except for the winner I imagine, but I own that one anyway). Anyway, I was like number 20 in the waiting list, so I will have to buy it at a later date! I have Life As We Know It here to read at the moment. Heard lots of good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding The Blinding Absence of Light to my Herding Cats list. I have Life As We Knew It on my TBR list and I loved Crow Lake. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bugger. I may have to do this one this year. I was tempted last year but had too many on the go with the Triple 8 Challenge. But I, like you, loves me a big juicy list o' temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had The Blinding Absence of Light in my TBR for literally a few years! Thanks for the reminder, I really should try to read it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Book of Negroes (American title: Someone Knows My Name) was one of my top 2 for last year. It is really wonderful. The subject matter can be very difficult at times though. I have The Outlander on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've put off buying a copy of Beat the Reaper since it's in hardback. You're trying to tempt me into buying it, aren't you? ;-)

    I have only read Crow Lake from your list of favorites for this challenge. The others sound really good too.

    I need to take a closer look this weekend at all the books listed and come up with my own plan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)