Friday, July 31, 2009

CHALLENGE: Japanese Literature Challenge 3


The lovely Bellezza is hosting the Japanese Literature Challenge 3 and I plan to participate again.

The challenge is to read one work of Japanese origin between July 30, 2009 and January 30, 2010. There are a ton of great prizes from the oh so generous Bellezza; I won a beautiful Japanese calendar in the last challenge that I love to look at.

I've enjoyed the books I've read in the last year and have a few more that I know I'd like to read. I don't have an official list but maybe:
  • Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (am I the only one who didn't read this last time?)
  • Cranes at Dusk by Hisako Matsubara (picked this up for $1)
  • When We Were Orphans by Kazou Ishiguro (love Ishiguro!
  • another mystery by Miyuke Miyabe (I've read 2 already but I don't know if I can get my hands on another one)

The books I've read already that I would recommend:

After Dark by Haruki Murakami (a little strange, but compelling)
All She Was Worth
by Miyuke Miyabe (police mystery)
A Pale View of Hills
by Kazou Ishiguro (not his strongest, but still good)
Shadow Family by Miyuke Miyabe (police mystery)
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (best book! with math!)

7 comments:

  1. It's great to see you joining this challenge - I love Japanese literature.

    I forgot all about Kazou Ishiguro - I really need to read some of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any Japanese literature and was about to say "I've got too many challenges on the go" but to read just one? I might do this too.

    The only Kazuo Ishiguro I've read is Remains of the Day and I really didn't like it - Though it was a college text so that could have been the reason. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. jackie - Have you not read any Ishiguro? Never Let Me Go is fabulous. I picked up that Cranes book with this challenge in mind.

    lady lazarus - I know, one book is pretty easy!
    I was surprised by how much I liked Remains of the Day because it is so slow and I should have found it boring, but Ishiguro just lured me in. I had already loved Never Let Me Go, so maybe that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I need to join this! I'm headed to Japan in March, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning on reading some Ishiguro, too. I think I read Remains of The Day a thousand years ago, but it's time to pick up again. I know I won't be staying to just one book! It's good to have you join again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing this challenge for the first time this time around. I have a couple books waiting for me at the library that I will have to post about later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. john - I didn't know that! Sounds very exciting.

    bellezza - I want to see the movie for Remains of the Day. I still have some of his to read for the first time. Reading one book makes it a pretty easy challenge to join.

    kailana - can't wait to see you picks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)