Saturday, March 10, 2007

CHALLENGE: top 50_books read

These challenges online are such an accountable way to set personal goals. I have always set some little goals for myself, but it never occured to me to write it down like this. So, I have a little challenge that I have set for myself. I don't have a deadline, but when I pick books, these list are in the back of my head.
Over at 50_books challenge on livejournal, the mod recently had a survey of the best books you've read. Now, this was filled out by a lot of readers, so you have to think that these are some kick-ass books. I certainly had read some of them, but I would like to read more, if not all of them. Then, my Challenge: read as many of the books on the top 20 reads from the 50_book challenge readers:

Top 20 Best Books According to the Readers of 50bookchallenge:

1. Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling 197
2. Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen 133 read in 2006
3. Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien 125
4. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 95 read in 1990s
5. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 77 read in 2006
6. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 76
7. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky 64
8. Lolita - Vladimir Nabakov 58
9. 1984 - George Orwell 52 read in 1990s
10. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde 50
11. Wuthering Heights - Emile Bronte 47 read in grade 12
12. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card 46
13. His Dark Materials Trilogy - Philip Pullman 45
14. Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett 42
15. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 41
16. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald 41 read in 2006
17. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult 38
18. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 37
19. American Gods - Neil Gaiman 36
20. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery 34

Before this year, I had read 6 of these books. How many can I read in 2007? I have already read The Great Gatsby (as a Classic Challenge book) and now just finished American Gods ( for the Chunkster Challenge) . I plan to read His Dark Materials Trilogy, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Jane Eyre (15books/15decades Challenge) before the year is out. That will make the list half read. If other challenges come along that some of these books fit into, then I'll probably try to read them. I think I had My Sister's Keeper as an alternate to the Chunkster Challenge. See? I just pick books for other challenges from this list. I'm such a multi-tasker.

The rest of the list, up to 100, can be found at this link, if you scroll down a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Great list! There's only six of them I haven't read yet. Cool. And I do love how you multi-task. That's the only way to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)