Thursday, March 22, 2007

LIST: ten books you can't live without

Favorite books, or books you can't live without, or books that made an impact: each has a different meaning, but one of those reasons is what made me pick the following books for my top ten list. Bloggers are compliling their top ten books here based on a World Book Day (who knew about that?) site from here, I think. I made of list of my favorite books once before, on different criteria; most made the list to here as well, but not all.

1 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery This whole series is my favourite of all time; Anne and Gilbert are my favorite love story; Matthew is my favorite character; Marilla grows so much, I could go on for a long time.

2 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry I didn't know as I was reading it how much I would like it, but for months, passages came back to me, and it really affected me.

3 The Stand - Stephen King Classic good versus evil, with a killer flu and I read this in about one sitting. Best scary book ever.

4 Stones from the River - Ursula Helgi Wow, this was the best of Oprah's picks, a great story of people in Germany during WW2, and how Germans and Jews tried to live their life amidst the Holocaust. Powerful.

5 The Pillars of the Earth -Ken Follett Great epic story in 1100s Britain about the building of a cathedral, but so much more

6 Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding This is my Pride and Prejudice, with all the humor that I love, but quicker to read. I reread this all the time.

7 Evening Class - Maeve Binchy I love the stories of ordinary people that Binchy writes, and this is my favourite of hers, with the narrative changing between many, many characters but all tied up at the end.

8 To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee I never read this in school, but picked it up as a substitute teacher. Great story, great cry.

9 Little House on the Prairies series - Laura Ingalls Wilder This fits in the caregory of books that made an impact on your life. I read all of these, over and over as a child, and my childhood would not have been the same without these wonderful stories.

10 I don't think I can pick another book. I just can't leave so many off the list, it would be like picking which child you love best. There are so many fabulous books, that I've loved, but I can't pick one.

3 comments:

  1. I have added your list to the pile! Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...The Stand is on my list too!! My favorite King and such an awesome book!! Also have To Kill a Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished A Fine Balance, it was amazing, such a big book but every page was full, intersting and thought provoking. I must go and search out more of his work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)