Wednesday, May 30, 2007

CHALLENGE: Book Award Reading Challenge


Look what 3M came up with. Another challenge. The goal is to read twelve award winning novels from July 2007 until June 2008. I think she's even talking about some prizes. And she made up a new blog over here: http://bookawardschallenge.blogspot.com/ I've been perusing the awards lists lately, so this challenge was very timely. I was toying with the idea of my own personal challenge to read a certain number, so thanks 3M for doing this for me.
Some good points to this challenge:
  • it goes for one year,
  • the books can be crosslisted to other challenges
  • the list can be ongoing
  • the more you read the more you can win,

And it's always more fun to read with others, although all these challenges seem to do is give me more books I want to read. I can see easily going beyond twelve for this challenge, but I may just be flush with the excitement of a list of big, fat juicy books.

The books I already have or had planned to read for other challenges would be:

  1. 1993 A Lesson Before Dying - Ernest J Gaines(National Book Critics Award)
  2. 2006 Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures -Vincent Lam (The Giller Prize)
  3. 1981 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole (Pulitzer)
  4. 2006 The Echo Maker - Richard Powers (National Book Award) I read this too early to count for this challenge but I linked my review from June
  5. 1985 The Bone People - Keri Hulme (Booker Prize)
  6. 2005 We Need to Talk About Kevin - Shriver (Orange Prize)
  7. 2007 The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer)
  8. 1990 Number the Stars - Lois Lowry (Newbery)
  9. 1997 The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy (Booker)
  10. 1997 The Chatham School Affair - (Edgar)
  11. 2000 The Blind Assassin - Maragaret Atwood (Booker)
  12. 2004 The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (Newbery)
  13. 2006 Other Colors by Orhan Pamuk (Nobel Prize winner)
  14. 1999 The Hours by Michael Cunningham (Pulitzer)
  15. 1968 From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler by EL Konisburg (Newbery)
  16. 1989 The Remains of the Day by Kazou Ishiguro (Booker)
  17. 2002 Atonement by Ian McEwen (NBCC)
  18. 1986 Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Hugo, Nebula)
  19. 1961 Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (Newbery)
  20. 2005 Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason (Golden Dagger)
  21. 1983 Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee (Booker)
  22. 1991 Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Newbery)
  23. 2004 This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jelloun (IMPAC Dublin)
  24. 2007 The Gathering by Anne Enright (Man Booker)

and that will get me off to a great start. We have a whole year, right? Excellent

Challenge wrap up posted here

3 comments:

  1. Just what I need - another challenge! I really don't, you know, but I do enjoy them. Your list looks great.

    Hey, Raidergirl3, we have definitely decided to visit PEI this summer. If you can think of any 'must see' or 'must do' suggestions please let me know. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not receive your email. Would love it if you could try sending it again. Thanks, Raidergirl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)