Friday, April 9, 2010

CHALLENGE: Science Book Challenge 2010

The Science Book Challenge 2010 is being hosted here. I've tried to participate every year, and have had various levels of success, in 2008 and 2009. That won't stop me from signing up again, and listing great science books I hope to read. I'm afraid I'm turning into that person that Nick Hornby worries he became: buying books because you'd like to be the person who buys and reads those books, not that those books ever actually get read. After being inspired by Melanie, yet again (she picks the best science books, the ones that send me scurrying to the library looking for her books):

  • Cold: Adventures in the world's frozen places by Bill Streever
  • The Elegant Universe by Brian Green
  • The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

There may be a touch of Literary Feline's approach to book challenges for me on this one. These are the books I'd like to read.

The ones I actually read:
1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
2. The Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks
3. We Need to Talk About Kelvin - Marcus Chown