Friday, January 4, 2008

CHALLENGE: Chunkster Challenge 2

the definition: chunkster - a book with more than 450 pages; a kick-ass novel; method of combining reading and arm-lifts.

the preamble: Last year, I looked at Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell in the library, and decided I didn't really want to carry a brick around for 5 months while I tried to read it. Also, this was my toughest challenge last year.

the rationale: I really didn't want to sign up for this because chunkster books scare me. I worry I won't like it, that it will take too long to finish when there are so many other more reasonable books (250 - 400 pages) out there. But I probably read at least 4 big books in a year. It helps that I am reading The Book Thief right now, weighing in at about 545 pages. As well, so far I am sticking with Les Miserables at livejournal, a chapter a day. That's two right there. So let's make a little list of books I know I'd like to read, and see what it looks like.

the list:


  1. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak: 550 pages
  2. Les Miserables, Victor Hugo: ? but it's 365 chapters
  3. The Night Watch, Sarah Waters: 503 pages
  4. Lisey's Story, Stephen King: 653 pages
  5. Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Marisha Pessl: 514 pages
  6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith: 483 pages
  7. The Boleyn Inheritance, Philippa Gregory: 518 pages
  8. Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons, Lorna Landvik, 483 pages

the caving: I am sure I can read 4 of these by December 20th, 2008.

the credits: think pink dana is hosting this year, since bookfool is looking after her mother, and we are all thinking of them.

6 comments:

Joy said...

*giggle-giggle* I'm right there with ya on this one, Raidergirl3! Every time we have an inkling of fear, we need to repeat this mantra: "I think I can, I think I can." :)

Literary Feline said...

The Night Watch falls into this category? Hmmmm. Maybe this one will get read this year. :-)

raidergirl3 said...

joy - we can do it, we can do it

wendy - I had to go recheck it, but my copy does indeed have 500 pages. It's a solid chunkster.

Rhinoa said...

I just signed up for this challenge too and it looks fun. I want to read The Book Thief this year and The Boleyn Inheritance as well. Should be fun to see what you think too.

Nicole said...

I have always wanted to read Les Miserables. I think reading a chapter a day is brilliant! (Of course, if I start now, I'm already seven chapters behind; but maybe I could catch up if I hurry!)

I want to join this challenge, so maybe I'll use that as my starting point.

raidergirl3 said...

rhinoa - some big books don't seem as big, like Gregory's. I'm just about done The Book Thief...

nicole - I'm doing Les Mis at lj, and we started in September, and it will take a year! Yikes. Somebody posts a chapter everyday or so. You could prob get it at www.dailylit.com too. Have you seen that site? it's pretty neat, and free.