Friday, January 4, 2008

CHALLENGE: Chunkster Challenge 2

the definition: chunkster - a book with more than 450 pages; a kick-ass novel; method of combining reading and arm-lifts.

the preamble: Last year, I looked at Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell in the library, and decided I didn't really want to carry a brick around for 5 months while I tried to read it. Also, this was my toughest challenge last year.

the rationale: I really didn't want to sign up for this because chunkster books scare me. I worry I won't like it, that it will take too long to finish when there are so many other more reasonable books (250 - 400 pages) out there. But I probably read at least 4 big books in a year. It helps that I am reading The Book Thief right now, weighing in at about 545 pages. As well, so far I am sticking with Les Miserables at livejournal, a chapter a day. That's two right there. So let's make a little list of books I know I'd like to read, and see what it looks like.

the list:


  1. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak: 550 pages
  2. Les Miserables, Victor Hugo: ? but it's 365 chapters
  3. The Night Watch, Sarah Waters: 503 pages
  4. Lisey's Story, Stephen King: 653 pages
  5. Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Marisha Pessl: 514 pages
  6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith: 483 pages
  7. The Boleyn Inheritance, Philippa Gregory: 518 pages
  8. Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons, Lorna Landvik, 483 pages

the caving: I am sure I can read 4 of these by December 20th, 2008.

the credits: think pink dana is hosting this year, since bookfool is looking after her mother, and we are all thinking of them.

6 comments:

  1. *giggle-giggle* I'm right there with ya on this one, Raidergirl3! Every time we have an inkling of fear, we need to repeat this mantra: "I think I can, I think I can." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Night Watch falls into this category? Hmmmm. Maybe this one will get read this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. joy - we can do it, we can do it

    wendy - I had to go recheck it, but my copy does indeed have 500 pages. It's a solid chunkster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just signed up for this challenge too and it looks fun. I want to read The Book Thief this year and The Boleyn Inheritance as well. Should be fun to see what you think too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to read Les Miserables. I think reading a chapter a day is brilliant! (Of course, if I start now, I'm already seven chapters behind; but maybe I could catch up if I hurry!)

    I want to join this challenge, so maybe I'll use that as my starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rhinoa - some big books don't seem as big, like Gregory's. I'm just about done The Book Thief...

    nicole - I'm doing Les Mis at lj, and we started in September, and it will take a year! Yikes. Somebody posts a chapter everyday or so. You could prob get it at www.dailylit.com too. Have you seen that site? it's pretty neat, and free.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)