Sunday, May 3, 2009

CHALLENGE: Southern Reading Challenge

May 15 - August 15, 2009

three months, three books, win!
Southern Reading Challenge Three
haikus, pecans, win!


Before I joined Maggie's Southern Reading Challenge in 2007, I didn't even realize that southern books were a genre. And they may not be a real genre, but I get them now. We were watching Because of Winn-Dixie, based on the book by Kate diCamillo and it just reeks, reeks in a good way, of southern characters and settings. It was set in Florida which is southern, but it also had the feel that I've come to enjoy and recognize in southern literature. So Yay! to Maggie for hosting again. Last year I read the following:

Miss Julia Throws a Wedding by Ann B Ross
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (Mississippi)
Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (South Carolina)
Mama Makes Up Her Mind by Bailey White
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines

I wrote a haiku for The Secret Life of Bees - which was fab, and then won and read an autographed copy of Mudbound, also fab. Maybe this year I'll join in one of the other contests during the challenge. And keep an eye out for dead mules, apparently they appear in a lot of southern fiction.


This summer I hope to read from the following list:
Miss Julia Meets Her Match by Ann B Ross (continuing series)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (on www.dailylit.com)
Beach Music by Pat Conroy (South Carolina)
Big Stone Gap by Adrianna Trigiani
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

1. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
2. Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
3.
A Death in the Family by James Agee

9 comments:

  1. I loved reading The Awakening last year.

    Garden spells sounds good!

    My Read list for SRC 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great list! I have Mudbound on my list for this year. I might add A Lesson Before Dying. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Winn-Dixie. Both the book AND the movie. That AnnaSophia is such a doll!!

    Garden Spells was a good book. (a little too reminiscent of Practical Magic, but still a great read).

    Have fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be fun. I want to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    Checked this challenge out and signed up. I am reading:
    Mudbound - Jordan Hillary
    The Help - Kathryn Stackett
    Confederates in the Attic - Tony Horwitz

    And maybe Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. guatami - I see Garden Spells at the library every time I go.

    vasillis - it's a fun challenge to make a list for. Every year my list gets longer.

    steph - wasn't Winn-Dixie sweet?
    I haven't read Practical Magic, so I wont' notice the similarities:)

    tea - go on over to Maggie's and sign up, she's awesome.

    sherrie - I'm glad you joined. See you on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Memory Keepers daughter it was one of my favorites. The movie did not do it the justice it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Conroy's The Prince of Tides last year, and I LOVED it! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't picked my three books yet. I could do it today. Do we get a Southern Reading Button?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)