Sunday, March 4, 2007

CHALLENGE: Reading Across Borders Challenge

I started this challenge a month or so ago. The Challenge is to read books from outside your geographical comfort zone, or books that have been translated. I'm cheating a bit, because I read a few last year that would count, so unless otherwise noted, all books are read in 2007.

Afghanistan: The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (2005)
The Swallows of Kabul - Yasmina Khadra

Southern Italy: The Shape of Water - Andrea Camilleri (translated by Stephen Sartarelli)

Nothern Italy: The Baron in the Trees - Italo Calvino ( translated by Archibald Colquhoun)

Turkey: Istanbul: Memories and the City - Orhan Pamuk
Other Colors - Orhan Pamuk

Spain: The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon (2006)

Germany: Night - Elie Weisel

Mexico: Pedro Paramo - Juan Rulfo

Czech : Ignorance - Milan Kundera

Holland : On the Water - HM van den Brink

France: The Stranger - Albert Camus

Sri Lanka: Reef - Romesh Gunesekera

Nigeria: Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Sudan: The Translator - Leila Aboulela

Australia: I Am the Messenger - Markus Zukas

Bosnia-Hercegovinia: Zlata's Diary

England: Arthur & George - Julian Barnes

India: The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

New Zealand: The Bone People - Keri Hulme

Portugal: Alentejo Blue - Monica Ali

Sweden: The Princess of Burundi - Kjell Eriksson




I have a big list picked out at the library to request. ( I just searched 'translated' ) This will be an ongoing challenge, with no preset number of books. Just as I read them, I'm adding them to the list. I didn't officially join; this is just for me.

EDIT: I am expanding this challenge, to be "Around the World in 80 Countries". I think I can find 80 countries toread about. I'll keep my running total and future plans at raidergirl3 blog on my dashboard.