Saturday, March 10, 2007

BOOK: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

This is a book I read for several reasons: it was on the top 20 reads list from the 50_book challenge at livejournal, I picked it for the Chunkster Challenge, and then it was a 2000s book for the 15books/15decades challenge. And, it was a pretty interesting read.
It reminded me of a Stephen King book in that Gaiman sets up a world that has supernatural elements, but does it in such a believable way that it all makes sense. I really liked the main character Shadow; just an ordinary man, but open to ideas, and also thinking for himself in the face of unbelievable situations. I really rooted for him. I also liked the premise about the gods we worship today and from long ago and how those long ago gods survive today. Easy to read and lots to think about, a well written book with fascinating characters and situations. What more can you ask for in a novel.