Friday, March 20, 2009

CHALLENGE: Once Upon a Time III

It's baaack! Carl is hosting the 'most looked forward to' challenge of the season in the blogosphere. Last year I discovered that this is not my most favorite genre, but I'm sure there are still a few books that will grab my attention in the fantasy, folk, myth, or fairy tale section.

from Carl's site (I had to include the Einstein quote):

“The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.”
~Albert Einstein

fan⋅ta⋅sy: a genre that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting.(Wiki)

fairy tale: a fictional story that may feature folkloric characters such as fairies, goblins, elves, trolls, giants, and talking animals, and usually enchantments, often involving a far-fetched sequence of events. (Wiki)

folk⋅lore: the traditional beliefs, legends, customs, etc., of a people; lore of a people; The traditional beliefs, myths, tales, and practices of a people, transmitted orally. (Dictionary dot com)

my⋅thol⋅o⋅gy: a body of myths, as that of a particular people or that relating to a particular person; a set of stories, traditions, or beliefs associated with a particular group or the history of an event, arising naturally or deliberately fostered. (Dictionary dot com)

I am only going to commit to 'the journey' this year, and then if I read more, it will feel like I've gone about and beyond, instead of stressing that I haven't got my list completed. There are more options or quests to be found on Carl's site and a place to sign up. Thanks for hosting Carl!



This is really as simple as the name implies. It means you are participating, but not committing yourself to any specific number of books. All reading is a journey, perhaps none more so than reading fantastical fiction. By signing up for The Journey you are agreeing to at least read one book within one of the four categories during March 21st to June 20th period. Just one book. If you choose to read more, fantastic! If not, then we have still had the pleasure of your company during this three month reading journey and hopefully you have read a great book, met some interesting people, and enjoyed the various activities that occur during the challenge. It has always been of utmost importance to me that the challenges that I host be all about experiencing enjoyable literature and sharing it with others. I want you to participate. Hence, The Journey.

Possible books:
1. Ella Enchanted
by Gail Carson Levine
2. Garden Spells
by Sarah Addison Allen
3. Skellig by David Almond

maybe another year:
4. Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
5. The Book of Lost Things
by John Connolly
6. The Well of Lost Plots
by Jasper Fforde
7. When Twilight Burns
by Colleen Gleason

15 comments:

  1. You picked some good books there! I've heard good about The book of Lost Things, and I love The Well of Lost Plots. I have a Shannon Hale to read too. I hope you enjoy it, whichever book you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I should read Ella Enchanted too! I've been meaning to for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ella Enchanted is fun and Jasper Fforde is always a riot. Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to add Ella Enchanted to my list! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to make some progress on the Thursday Next series as well. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have enjoyed Colleen's other books, you'll definitely like When Twilight Burns. It was great fun.

    Thanks so much for joining in even though this isn't your favorite genre to choose from. I appreciate it and we all are glad to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you are joining in! Should be fun. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Ella Enchanted, and am in the middle of The Book of Lost Things (and really liking it!). Great list. I'll enjoy your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to join this challenge but never have. Looks like I better go check it out. Enjoy your reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list!! The Book of Lost Things is fantastic!! And I love the movie Ella Enchanted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your list. I'm going to have to add The Book of Lost Things to my wishlist. :) Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jasper Fforde and Colleen Gleason - some good reading right there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read The Book of Lost Things for OUAT last year and LOVED IT!! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Ella Enchanted and The Book of Lost Things. Hope you enjoy them too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you joined! The Book of Lost Things has been on my TBR pile for way too long...not sure why I can't seem to get to it. Will be excited to read your review, no matter what book you choose!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)