Tuesday, March 17, 2009

BLOGGING: It's Tuesday, Where Are You?



It's the March Break from school here in my part of the world. The two older kids and I went downhill skiing today. The eleven year old went with school and has been dying to get back. I skied once, when I was sixteen, which is a long, hilarious story that I can tell, but I don't look very good or coordinated. (It involves taking 2 hours to get down one hill mountain) Today was absolutely beautiful; I took lessons with my daughter and then she was free to ski with my son for the afternoon. I stuck to the bunny hill after one trip up the chair lift and can proudly proclaim I am the slowest skier ever. But I had control and fun. I will be sore tomorrow. Before you think I am very brave, remember I live on Prince Edward Island which is barely above sea level and is characterized by gently rolling hills. There is a bit of a hill in the middle of the province that we can ski on.

I am hoping to read lots on this break, and managed to find a lovely spot in the sun in the lodge after I stopped skiing. (People who don't exercise very often should take it easy when attempting new sports.) I am back in Iceland, investigating the death of a ten year old Thai boy found stabbed in a playground. This should bring back even more memories of Erlunder's dead brother from when he was a youngster. (Arctic Chill by Arnulder Indridason)

And Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Old Gaelic Blessing
May those who love us, love us
And those who don't, may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts,
may He turn their ankles
so we'll know them by their limping

Where is reading taking you today? Leave a comment, write a post, spread the word.

20 comments:

  1. I'm still in Scotland - love it there!

    http://booksandmovies.today.com/2009/03/17/teaser-tuesdays-its-tuesday-where-are-you-march-17-2009/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that Blessing! And congrats on the ski efforts - I have never been myself - too cold, expensive, and you have to get up too early. I prefer to curl up next to the fire in the lodge with a cocktail and a good book! Speaking of which, here is a link to my current destination - 1940 France...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in London with a teenage girl who is a refugee from Nigeria and also with a young English widow. Their story also involves a previous meeting on a beach in Nigeria, so I'm spending part of my time there too, even though that part is extremely difficult.

    Little Bee by Chris Cleave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Pat's Day. I'm in up-state New York in a very cold and small village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I just found it on someone else's website while looking through the Teasers. I've posted mine on my blog:
    http://storytimewithtonya.blogspot.com/2009/03/where-are-you-florida.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in New Orleans as Hurricane Katrina approaches: City of Refuge by Tom Piazza.

    The book was a round-one winner in the Tournament of Books:

    http://themorningnews.org/tob/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure where I'm at, some secluded lake, sitting on my grandmothers porch.

    Happy St. Patricks Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't gone downhill skiing in years!

    I'm in Maine: here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been skiing in ages. Although hanging out in the lodge curled up with a book and hot chocolate sounds more my speed these days. Enjoy the break!
    I'm in London, England right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh to be on school holidays....13more school days to go till I get a break.

    I'm going to be in Russia when I crack open my book later on (One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in India during the 1880s. (Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh)

    Skiing, reading location in Iceland ... you've got quite the cold and snow theme going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in New Zealand, Poland, Georgia....

    http://lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com/2009/03/teaser-tuesdays-and-its-tuesdaywhere_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in Munich (The Hours After: Letters of Love and Longing in War's Aftermath) and Auschwitz (Man's Search for Meaning). Both are not very comfy places to be...

    Carol in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  14. On the run in Maryland and Virginia with John Wilkes Booth.

    "Manhunt" -James L. Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Gaelic blessing! I might have to borrow it....particularly applies at work right now. It would be sad if the people I suspect, come in limping, but at least I'd know then! lol and I hope you were still able to read after skiing. I have the Arnuldur books to read - I've read two and really enjoy them - now i have to catch up to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)