Saturday, March 21, 2009

BOOK: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green, 221 pages

dewey's books, young adult

Very good book about friendships, and death, and the great beyond, if there is one. Miles goes to boarding school in Alabama and makes his first real friends, falls in love, smokes, drinks, and pulls pranks. This makes is sound like a frat house, and in a way it is but the story is much deeper and tells bigger truths about friendship and guilt.

It always shocked me when I realized that I wasn't the only person in the world who thought and felt such strange and awful things.

If only we could see the endless string of consequences that result from our smallest actions.

It's the kind of book I would have loved, and read and reread as a teenager, with a feel of The Outsiders by SE Hinton. The characters are not the popular kids but they have their own circle and friendships and they are not concerned with doing what is expected or good. Lots of literary references as the characters are smart and read a lot.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked this book. I wish it had been around when I was younger, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on reading Paper Towns but I'm not 100% positive if I'm going to read this one.a

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to read this, even though I wasn't a huge fan of Paper Towns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....I read this one a few weeks ago!! LOVED it!! John Green is AWESOME!! Have you ever seen any of his video blogs?? Makes me like him even more.

    check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMPtYvZ8tM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book checked out from the library so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently bought this book for two pounds, but I haven't yet gotten around to reading it. Looking forward to it though...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)