Saturday, February 28, 2009

CHALLENGE: 1% Well Read, 2009 Version

How much of a glutton for punishment am I? As of February 28, 2009, I didn't complete this challenge from last year. I read 7 out of 10, and one of those was a DNF. Not very impressive. But there are still books on the list I'd like to read, and nothing actually happened when I didn't complete the challenge, so why not give it a try?

Michelle has given us three options for this challenge:
  1. Read 10 titles from the original list from March 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009.
  2. Read 10 titles from the new list from March 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009.
  3. Read 13 titles from the combined list (of almost 1300 titles) from March 1, 2009 through March 31, 2010. In other words, “What were they thinking dropping titles from Dostoevsky and Jane Austen?”
I'll go with option number 2, and begin a list here:

1. Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (new list)
2. All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy (new list) - read 50 pages
3. Fugitive Pieces - Anne Michaels April 27 (both lists)
4. Fifth Business - Robertson Davies (new list)
5. The Reader - Bernhard Schlink (both lists)
6. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain dailylit.com (both lists)
7. The Tenent of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
8. Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto (new list)
9. The Bridal Wreath (book 1 of Kristin Lavransdatter) - Sigrid Unset
10. Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell (both lists)

3. Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre (new list)
5. How Late it Was, How Late - James Kelman (both lists)
8. The Diviners - Margaret Laurence (new list)

11. The Colour - Rose Tremain (old list)
12. Fingersmith - Sarah Waters (old list)
13. The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

3 comments:

  1. I joined this one as well. I haven't a clue which books I am planning to read but I am going to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, 7 out of 10 is a heck of a lot better than I did! And just think we've now got the opportunity to redeem ourselves, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)