Monday, April 9, 2007

CHALLENGE: Dystopian Challenge

Lisa at Books. Lists. Life is hosting a Dystopian Challenge

The rules were as follows:
1. Pick any number of books you wish to read that fall into the Utopia/Dystopia genre.
2. They do not have to be books you've never read, but hopefully they aren't books you read last week.
3. Challenge is open now, and will last until November 6th.

Well, I confess I didn't know there was a genre of books called dystopian/utopian until very recently. (utopian for the optimists? dystopian for the pessimists?) This certainly isn't a category of books I've read many of, but I enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood many years ago, and I've read 1984 by Orwell a long time ago. I had a few books I was planning to read, not realizing they fit into this genre. So, I can commit to two books, and may be able to read a few more by November, depending on what other challenges come up.

Books I plan to read:
1. The Giver by Lois Lowry (banned book challenge as well)
2. Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro
3. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
4. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
5. either The Road by Cormac McCarthy or Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (recced by laura)

maybes: Children of Men PD James;
Uglies, Pretties, etc, by Scott Westerfield;
something by Margaret Atwood

And I found this list on wikipedia. Wow, who knew there were this many dystopian books. I didn't look up utopian either.

These challenges are fun because you get to read new books, meet new people, and make a list and cross stuff off the list. List people know what I mean by this.

1 comment:

  1. Being a list person myself, I certainly understand what you mean about crossing things off the list as evidenced by my addiction to reading challenges!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I have enjoyed my visit here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)