Tuesday, May 15, 2007

CHALLENGE: Summer Mystery Reading Challenge

The Challenge:

Read six mysteries of any type by authors whose works you haven’t read before between June 1st and August 31st and you will have completed the challenge, hosted at reviewed by Liz
How awesome is this? I haven't been reading mysteries much lately. I found a new series with Inspector Montalbano by Camilleri, an Italian detective that I want to read more of, but this challenge says new to you authors. My first thought was, great. Now I'll have six new series I'll want to read, and I don't need more to read. But since I read most of Anne Perry's mysteries, I haven't really found new mystery authors, and I think I've been wanting to. I've been rereading some Agatha Christie books, and I've discovered some old time detective stories by Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett that I want to read.
I don't have to make a list, just read six new authors. I know I will start with some books I'm reading for the Southern Reading Challenge, such as:
1. Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B Ross not really a mystery after all. I'll have to find another for this
Then I'll investigate:
3. The Princess of Burundi by Swedish author, Kjell Eriksson. I ordered this from amazon as part of my Reading Across Borders Challenge and haven't got to it yet
4. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich I've never read Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich, so I imagine that'll be one
5. And them I think I'll browse the library, looking for the little mystery symbol, and be adventurous for the last two. That sounds like a lot of fun.
So, here are the other books I've found for this challenge, with reviews linked:
1. Restless by William Boyd
5. Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris
6. Killer Swell by Jeff Shelby