The Orbis Terrarum Challenge is being hosted by B&b exlibris who say:
Here is the deali-o!
- The Orbis Terrarum Challenge begins April 1 2008 (you are welcome to join later) Through December 20th 2008.
- For the challenge each reader is to choose 9 books (for the 9 months).
-Each book must be by an author from a different nation in our world.
- You can change your list of books at any time, just as long as you have read nine in the end.
The bottom line: choose 9 different books, written by 9 different authors, from 9 different countries.
I'll make a bit of a list to begin, reserving the right to change at any whim!
- The Plague - Albert Camus (Algeria)
- A Case of Exploding Mangoes - Mohammad Hanif (Pakistan)
- Literary Murder: A Critical Case - Batya Gur (Israel)
- This Blinding Absense of Light - Ben Jelloun, Tahar (Morocco)
- In the Country of Men - Hisham Matar (Libya)
- The Cruel Stars of the Night - Kjell Eriksson (Sweden)
- A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz (Australia)
- Shadow Family - Miyuki Miyabe (Japan)
- The Snack Thief - Andrea Camilleri (Italy)
- Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones (New Zealand)
- Things Fall Apart - Chiua Achebe (Nigeria)
- Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson (Norway)