Wednesday, March 19, 2008

BOOK: Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

series challenge: book #2 in Thursday Next series

I won't say too much about this, because it is hard to review books in a series if other people haven't read the first book. Too many spoilers, which is why I haven't read any Pretties or Specials reviews lately. Suffice to say, Fforde is at his imaginative best self. Not only are there literary detectives, but within the fictional world characters look after the integrity of the books, and the boundaries between what can and can't happen are blurred. Fforde explains everything within the rules of his world so that not just anything can happen, although it appears so at times.

After reading these books, my TBR pile grows as different novels become important and my understanding of the allusions would be better if I had previously read Great Expectations and Sense and Sensibilities. Did you know there is a missing Austen book Confusion and Conviviality? If that amuses you, you might enjoy these books. I read this one because I bought the next one in the series, The Well of Lost Plots, (the basement where books and characters not published live) for only $2, and I'd like to get to it before this series challenge ends in May. This series is cute, and amusing and easy going. I'm glad I found this series.

2 comments:

  1. I like this series, too. I have Thursday Next: The First in Sequels on the shelf. I'm actually going to get to it soon. (Soon meaning the next couple of months!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. booklogged - you are way ahead of me. That will finish the series for you, excellent.
    Soon can mean anytime this year, on my reading horizon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)