Sunday, March 23, 2008

BOOK: Zel by Donna Jo Napoli

Zel by Donna Jo Napoli

Once Upon a Time II, Young Adult Challenge, Eponymous Challenge

Napoli uses beautiful writing to retell the fairy tale of Rapunzel. This was set in Switzerland during the 1500s, and I forgot how much of the story I knew, but as I kept reading, another element made me remember. I liked how the prince was a count, and the love story was perfect. It was really the story about love, different kinds of love, and the things that love can drive you to do. I'd read another fairy tale by Napoli.

A great start to the Once Upon a Time Challenge II.

Also reviewed by : mawbooks

11 comments:

  1. I saw somebody else had reviewed this book recently and I thought it sounded really interesting. Plus, that will give me a Z book for my A-Z reading challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is about the fourth great review I have read of this novel. I have it ordered so fingers crossed it will arrive tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maw books - it was very cute, and a Z book!

    booklogged - exactly

    rhinoa - I hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed several other books I read by Donna Jo Napoli. This one looks good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the first book I need by Napoli and I loved it. I'm hoping to get to The Magic Circle for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good one. Love the title/name. Very fun. Makes me want to have another kid just so I can call her Zel. Okay, not really, but you get the point. If you're interested in a really great essay on the Rapunzel tradition, I would point you here:

    http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrRapunzel.html

    Terri Windling writes the best essays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book on a lot of people's list. Sounds like a beautiful tale; I've always really enjoyed the story of Rapunzel--and I have Swiss roots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. carl - thanks for the link, I'll have a look on the weekend.

    trish - I didn't realize it was a Swiss tale, and we had just discussed Heidi, I'm all Switzerland these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished The Magic Circle by Napoli and liked enough to want to read more by her. Zel is on my TBR list. I'm glad to read your review. It just makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)