Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CHALLENGE: Once Upon a Time V



Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings announced recently:

Five years ago I set out to celebrate my own deep affection for this literature by inviting others to set aside the period of the year that in the Western Hemisphere is known as Spring (March 21st to June 20th) to journey together into the magical lands of fantasy, fairy tales, folklore and mythology.


I'm most likely to complete the Journey (one book at a minimum) for this challenge. Check out Carl's blog for more options, including short stories and films. I'll confess to being more a fan of the creepier challenge, the Readers Imbibing Peril Challenge that Carl hosts in the fall. But there are enough of the whimsical, fairytale/ folklore books I want to read that I decided to join this year as well.

Previous Once Upon a Time Challenges I've completed:
Once Upon a Time 1; Once Upon a Time 2; Once Upon a Time 3   I guess I took last year off!

Some of my favorite books that I've read that fit this challenge or May I Recommend?
Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (fairy tale)
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (fairy tale)
Motorcycles & Sweetgrass by Drew Hayden Taylor (folklore/mythology)
Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo (fairy tale)
American Gods and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (folklore)
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (folklore)
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (fantasy)


Pool of Books: or surely I will read one of these?
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
Tales of Beetle the Bard by JK Rowling
Anasi Boys by Neil Gaiman
The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde
The Little Book by Seldon Edwards
Enya Burning by Shannon Hale
Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran

Books I Read:
1. Waiting for Gertrude by Bill Richardson
2. The Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling
3. The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
4. The Night Wanderer - Drew Hayden Taylor
5. Pomegranate Soup - Marsha Mehran
6. Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
7. The Little Book - Seldon Edwards
8. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs