Wednesday, December 16, 2009

CHALLENGE: Graphic Novel Challenge

Nymeth and Chris are hosting the 2010 edition of the Graphic Novels challenge. There is a blog for the challenge, and different levels of participation.

I'm going with Intermediate (3-10), and we are allowed to start early. I assume this means anywhere between 3 and 10 books. This little extra rule about starting early is what will help me. I don't have a lot of access to graphic novels, as my libraries don't seem to carry a lot. But there are a few that I am interested in reading. I actually have one here that I am hoping to read in the next few days.

After browsing my library online, there aren't a ton of choices that interest me. I'm not into manga - Ramna or Vagabond in however many volumes there are; Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew are in graphic novel form now; I've read most of the classics already that are in graphic novel form.
Here's a list of interesting books, so I'll remember what books to look for.

Pyongyang - Guy Delisle
Blankets - Craig Thompson
The Arrival - Shaun Tan
Ghost World - Daniel Clowes
Birth of a Nation - Aaron McGruder
Che - the graphic biography

Treasure Island, Frankenstein, The Wizard of Oz, Bram Stoker's Dracula
Tricked - Alex Robinson
The Fate of the Artist - Eddie Campbell
City of Glass - Paul Auster
Artemis Fowl
The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl - Barry Lyga
Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast

The books I've read already and would recommend include:
Maus I and Maus II - Art Spiegelman
The Borden Tragedy - Rick Geary
American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang
Pedro and Me - Judd Winick
The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

The List
  1. Pyongyang - Guy Delisle
  2. Tales from Shakespeare - Marcia Williams
  3. Blankets - Craig Thompson
  4. The Arrival - Shaun Tan
  5. Essex County, Vol 2 Ghost Stories - Jeff Lemire
  6. Essex County, Vol 1 Tales from the Farm - Jeff Lemire

3 comments:

  1. I've never read a graphic novel. Maybe I should look at some of those that you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided not to do this challenge, and I even said, Nymeth, you are great, but I'm not doing this challenge. Curiously, however, when I was at the library the other day, I found myself thinking, "Hey, this could be for Nymeth & Chris's challenge. Wouldn't that be nice?"

    Your list looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pam - The Invention of Hugo Cabret is half pictures, half story, and a most wonderful book. It's a children's book, but I think you would enjoy it too. It completely charmed me.

    jenny - you know you will join eventually:)
    But I understand the desire not to do it. Sometimes there are challenges that I probably complete, but I can only keep track of so many challenges, and the thought of keeping track is what stops me from actually joining.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)