Thursday, December 31, 2009

LIST: Favorite Reads of the Decade

Best Books of the Decade (aren't I glad I've kept a reading list of all the books I've read, and that I didn't use to read over 100 books in a year, making it easier to pick top books?) Some years, I read a lot of books from one particular series. I can never pick one book in particular book that I liked best, but the series as a whole deserved recognition, as I read several books in a year of that particular series.

2000
Evening Class - Maeve Binchy (not sure if this was the first time I read this)
The White Bone - Barbara Gowdy
Harry Potter - the first two books
series of the year - Thomas and Charlotte Pitt mysteries by Anne Perry

2001
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
A Good House - Bonnie Bernard
Girl with Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding
series of the year - Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel

2002
Bridget Jones: Beyond Reason - Helen Fielding
series of the year - Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan


2003
Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn
Confessions of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
series - William Monk mysteries by Anne Perry


2004
The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch albon
DaVinci Code - Dan Brown
The Live of Pi - Yann Martel
A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

2005
America: Democracy In-action - Jon Stewart
The Poet - Michael Connolly
The Birth of Venus - Sarah Dunant
Middlesex - Jeffery Eugneides
A Girl Named Zippy - Haven Kimmel

2006
Pope Joan - Donna Woolfolk Cross
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
The Lady and the Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier
The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

2007
I Am the Messenger - Markus Zusak
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chobsky
The Bone People - Keri Hulme
Never Let Me Go - Kazou Ishiguro
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
series of the year - Shakespeare mystery series by Charlaine Harris

2008
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
Crow Lake - Mary Lawson
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Life as We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer
Black Swan Green - David Mitchell
series of the year - Inspector Montalbano by Andrea Camilleri

2009
The Lizard Cage - Karen Connolly
Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella
Fingersmith - Sarah Waters
The Outlander - Gil Adamson
The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yoko Ogawa
series of the year - Inspector Erlunder series (Icelandic mysteries)

13 comments:

Pam said...

The decade! I can't even remember my favorite books for this current year. I am hugely impressed.

Marg said...

I could do my favourite s of the last 5 years, but I definitely couldn't do it for the last decade!

Colour me impressed!

raidergirl3 said...

pam - I keep lists. List, lists, lists. I couldn't remember what I read last week if I didn't write it down.

marg - in 2000 I started keeping track of the books I read, and they were all in one book journal. I just picked the books that still stood out for me. My quality of books, as well as quantity has certainly improved in the last few years.

Marg said...

Yes, I started my list in 2004 I think! I do love my lists. Helps in so many ways!

farmlanebooks said...

Fantastic list! So many of my favourite books are there. The only one I haven't heard of is A Girl Named Zippy. I need to look into that one - thankyou!

Literary Feline said...

In about four more years than I will be able to do a decades post. :-)

It's really interesting, isn't it, to look over your favorites through the years.

I am hoping to read my first Sarah Waters book this year. And Outlander sure looks good.

I wish you the best of luck in the New Year and may you read many new books.

dolcebellezza said...

I like so many of your top reads. It's funny how The Housekeeper and The Professor made a lot of top ten lists this year, including ours!

raidergirl3 said...

marg - gotta love the lists

jackie - Zippy is a memoir, I'm hoping to read the sequel this year. Very cute book

wendy - I've enjoyed your retrospectives of past years. I didn't keep more than a list of the books until I started blogging, so I can only go on gut reaction and remembrances.
Ooh, first Sarah Waters, Fingersmith was fabulous.

belleza - It was such a beautiful book, I lend it to everyone, especially my math friends.

Lori L said...

What a great list! I wish I had been keeping track of the books I've read and the best books for each year much sooner!

Kailana said...

I am very impressed! I am not this organized!

Aths said...

Great list!! I LOVED some of the books on your list! Esp. Twenties Girl!!

Brook Stableford said...

This is truly inspiring. Barbara Kingsolver will be presenting writers' workshops at the San Miguel Writers Conference in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico February 19-23 2010. I just signed up. It looks like a rare opportunity to meet her. Are you going?

Sue Jackson said...

What a great list! I've only been keeping track of what I read for the last 4-5 years. You've included lots of my favorites, plus plenty I haven't read yet. So many good books!

Sue