Saturday, January 3, 2009

CHALLENGE: Dewey Decimal System



Being hosted at The Novel World. The challenge is to read one from each category of the hundreds in a year. I don't read a lot of nonfiction, and this might be a great place to keep track of books read. This is just a list, books read will be noted, or linked to a review if possible. I like the idea of keeping track of my nonfiction reads by their Dewey number. The first will probably be Dewey: the small town library cat who touched the world, appropriately enough.


000 - Generalities
081 The Darwin Awards - Wendy Northcutt

100 - Philosophy and Psychology
128.4 The Book of Calamities*
153 A Whack on the Side of the Head*
153.4 Blink: the power of thinking without thinking - Gladwell

200 - Religion

300 - Social Sciences
394.1 POL An Omnivore's Dilemna: A Natural history in 4 Meals
370 UNG Failing Our Kids: How we are ruining our public schools
305.48 Kabul Beauty School - Deborah Rodriguez*
302 The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell


400 - Language

500 - Natural Sciences + Math
599.9 SYK The Seven Daughters of Eve
539.7 The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene*
516.204 The Golden Ratio - Mario Livio*
522 Miss Leavitt's Stars - George Johnson
530 E = mc^2 - David Bodanis


600 - Technology
636.8 Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - Vicki Myron
641 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of food life - Barbara Kingsolver*
658 Bo's Lasting Lessons*
614.52 The Great Influenza by John Barry*

700 - The Arts

792.7 I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This - Bob Newhart
796.962 Searching for Bobby Orr - Stephen Brunt
791.45 Survivor! - Mark Burnett
792 Without You - Anthony Rapp

800 - Literature and Rhetoric
808 Shakespeare Wrote for Money - Nick Hornby
814.54 I Feel Bad About My Neck - Nora Ephron

823.92 Say You're One of Them - Uwem Akpan*
818.09 The Innocents Abroad - Mark Twain
832 BRE The Life of Galileo

900 - Geography and History

971 Souvenir of Canada - Douglas Coupland

910.91634 Titanic's Last Secrets - Brad Matsen*
942.1 Necropolis: London and its Dead - Catherine Arnold
967.5 DALShaking Hands With the Devil - Romeo Dallaire

*I have the book here. I won the Hachette nonfiction box o'books which certainly increases my nonfiction TBR.

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing this one too, looking forward to your reviews. I find that recommendations for non-fiction are much more important than for fiction - trying to read too many boring books puts one off the whole non-fiction concept! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This challenge has been calling to me, too. Your list looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fighting myself, slugging out how many challenges to join vs how many books on my TBR pile I DO want to read this year! And if I can find challenges that fit what I want to read. So I am still looking at this one. I like your list so far,though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)