Sunday, November 15, 2009

BOOK: I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron, 137 pages
and other thoughts on being a woman

Women Unbound - my 1st nonfiction read

I remember reading Framed's review of this book about a year ago, and making a mental note to read this book. Then I saw it on some one's list as a recommended book for the Women Unbound Challenge.

It was, in a word, hilarious. Shaking in my bed, laughing late last night as Ephron laments her poor purse skills - forgetting to get a new one in the new season, having everything in the world in it, refusing/not understanding to pay copious amounts of money for a purse, that apparently, should match. How did she get into my head?

Ephron is the journalist writer that you may know better as the screenwriter of When Harry Met Sally and Silkwood, among others. This book is her series of essays on being a woman, a woman of a certain age. There were so many sections I adored. Her humorous take on being blind as a bat and not being able to find her reading glasses is very soon in my future. The amount of time required for maintenance - hair, nails, waxing, and pedicures as women age. She suspects she is 8 hours from looking like a homeless person. She is sarcastic but speaks the truth. She attributes the phrase '50 is the new 40' to the advent of hair colour that is widely used.

Ephron has lived what would be called a privileged life, so when she talks about losing her rent controlled apartment, not many will identify with her. However, when she talks about the rapture of being caught up in an excellent book, we can identify. Which reminds me, she raved about The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. My new years resolution will have to be to read that book. She also talks about how parenting has changed over the years, not always in a good way, because we still end up with sullen teenagers.

She lived through the feminist breakthrough days of the 1960s and 70s and discusses changes, good and bad. She is blunt about the aging process, and what she doesn't like, all with a humorous voice. I'm going to start putting more face cream on my neck, or I'll be wearing turtlenecks pretty soon.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds good! I think I would particularly enjoy her perspective on societal changes throughout recent decades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this eventually! I loved When Harry Met Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun read and something that I would enjoy. I've been thinking about signing up for the Women Unbound challenge and this might be a great fit for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this one. I really DO feel bad about my neck, so maybe this will help me to laugh about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it - this was excellent on audio, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this quite a bit too even though there were parts that I couldn't relate too, there were many parts I can. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this book for ages. It does seem like it would be the perfect book for the Women Unbound Challenge. I gotta remember to get myself a copy of this! And you should most definitely read The Woman in White. Wilkie Collins is Victorian excellency.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stephanie - yes, it's a nice mix, but mostly funny

    kailana - it was very funny, she talks about When Harry Met Sally a little bit as well.

    Pam - such a funny book.

    samantha - I was worried about finding nonfiction, so when I realized this would be a perfect book, it made it easier to sign up. And it was really quick to read - because it was short, and also I wanted to keep reading.

    suey - I hadn't thought about my neck yet, but now I'm checking!

    joann - I would be funny to listen to, like a stand up comedian.

    lori l - she covered a lot of territory, so everyone should be able to relate to some part of it.

    js - woman in white is definitely getting read next year! Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got this from Paperback Swap but have had no chance to get to it yet. It sounds too fun. Maybe next month?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)