Monday, November 30, 2009

BOOK: Sky Burial by Xinran

Sky Burial by Xinran, 203 pages

an epic love story of Tibet

Women Unbound Challenge

The best books are the ones that are a good read, and also expand your experience. Open your eyes to another world as well as entertain. There is so much I didn't know about Tibet, and the relationship between China and Tibet. Even better, this is a love story, about Shu Wen, who heads into Tibet in the late 1950s to search for her husband. After only being married for months, she receives word that her beloved husband has been killed while acting as a doctor in the Chinese army during an incursion into Tibet. She resolves to follow his path and find him or what happened to him. Her odyssey of time living in Tibet, as she learns the way of Tibet and searches for her husband, takes the better part of her life.

Xinran, a Chinese journalist, met Shu Wen after her return to China. After hearing her story, she resolved to write the amazing tale of love and acceptance and survival.







2 comments:

  1. I read this book last year and liked it. It was hard to believe parts of it. But overall it was a beautiful and haunting book that was hard to read in places. It was interesting reading about a culture very different from mine. My aunt gave it to my 15 year old cousin and she did not like it at all. I told her she missed the important parts. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. brittanie - I got confused sometimes as to what was real and what was made up. It was beautiful for sure, and I'd like to read another book about Tibet. I'm not sure I would have appreciated it at 15 either!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)