Monday, November 23, 2009

BOOK: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris, 292 pages

Celebrate the Author; Vampire Challenge

my preambling rambling:
Much like suziqoregon, I would have preferred to get the book with the cover from before this Southern Vampire Series was made into a television series, but this was the one I found. I haven't watched any of the HBO series True Blood based on the book, but I am intrigued. I loved Harris' Shakespeare mystery series, and have been planning to read this vampire series for quite a while. I actually started reading this book a year ago, and couldn't get into it at all, but wanted to give it another try.

the plot outline:
Sookie Stackhouse has a disability - she can read minds. Because of the problems this causes her, she hasn't dated much at all. When Vampire Bill moves to her town, she discovers she cannot hear his thoughts at all and thus finds it so relaxing to be around him. Vampires have recently had laws enacted which makes it easier for them to live in mainstream society - the invention of synthetic blood allows them to survive without feasting on humans. When one of Sookie's coworker waitresses is murdered, suspicion falls on Bill.

my thoughts:
I'm not sure I completely get the vampire intrigue, or all the rules that surround them. However, this book at least provided a rationale for liking a vampire and allowing them to live in the human world. Dead Until Dark was very fun, combining the supernatural elements within the Southern sensibilities of Louisiana. Harris writes great mysteries with well developed characters that I want to read more about. Sookie, Bill, and Sam make an interesting trio and I look forward to more of them.

This is my November book for celebrate the author as Charlaine Harris was born November 25, 1951. I also highly recommend her Shakespeare mystery series, set in Shakespeare, Arkansas. It's quite dark, but only 5 books long, so it's an easy series to read.

6 comments:

  1. I thought the books were just a so-so light read, but I love the HBO series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read through this whole post thinking this: A Shakespeare mystery series! Sounds delightful! And just when I am engaged in reading all of Shakespeare's plays in order from the beginning! I was thinking, What startling synchronicity!

    But, no, okay. Shakespeare, Arkansas. Still worth giving a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to my covers post! Sorry you couldn't get the cover you preferred, but what's most important is what's inside the book, right?

    I've read the first three in the series and the vampire culture is explored and developed as the series progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely recommend Charlaine's other mystery series also, (Grave Sight is the 1st one if I remember correctly). You should also try watching True Blood! I love the series (book & television). :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to get back to the Shakespeare series - I've only read the first one.

    I may read the rest of the Sookie books. I found the first one suffered a bit from series set-up, a lot of details that I felt bogged it down a bit. But Charlaine Harris is definitely fun.

    A cute thing - in one of the first True Blood episodes, Sookie's grandma is sitting at the table reading a Southern Vampire novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. pam - I haven't seen the show. I'll try another book, but I didnt' love the book right away.

    jenny - sorry for getting you excited! Have you read Cue for Treason? It's a YA mystery set in Shakespearean time. I remember reading it in grade 9, before starting on Will's books in High school. Loved it!

    suziq - I understand completely about the cover and would have preferred the old cover, but it is the inside that counts.
    The vampire cult it a neat idea to explore.

    andrea - that's the other series I am most interested in reading. There is an Aurora Teagarden series as well, but Grave Site looks a bit darker, like the Shakespeare ones.
    I don't have HBO, so unless I rent the series, I won't be seeing it any time soon.

    tiny ll - That's funny, because I thought the first book seemed like a stand alone, what with so many characters getting killed. I am interested in seeing how Sookie, Bill and Sam develop further.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)