Friday, November 20, 2009

GAME: Bookword Game

We have some results: What should we call a book that has such a distinctive smell that we find it distracting?

We call it an aroma tome! Thanks to bybee for her most excellent suggestion. She has a way with these bookwords.


What is wrong with this book on the left? The cover is screaming 'a long time ago.' I know that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but sometimes we can't help it. My nine year old daughter will look at a cover and dismiss a book in an instant if the cover doesn't appeal to her. Compare it to these other covers of the same book:


These other two look a bit more appealing and certainly more modern. Alas, I am cheap, and the ugly cover was available at the used book store, but it may have contributed to my over all feeling for the story.

So, how about coming up with a word to describe a book with a bad cover.

We'll take suggestions until Wednesday of next week, and then Suey will tabulate the results and we will vote. Suggestions in the comments, please.

10 comments:

  1. OMG...I didn't even vote for myself..I liked nose tingler better!

    no suggestions -- but must comment that I also dislike the first cover of Fifth Business and love the middle cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I've been thinking about this all week and can't come up with anything. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely something we need a word for, and it's disappointing that we don't have many words. I've been thinking all week and the best I can come up with is a "dis" covered book or a "mis" covered book. Can we keep it going another week in case some one can come up with a better word?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was coming to get the words for voting on my blog, but now I'm wondering if we should do as arcona suggested and go another week. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing. Another week for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. riffing off of arcona's suggestion:
    "Miscovery Book"

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Dis-covered Book

    dis: expressing completeness or intensification of an unpleasant or unattractive action

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or A Misunderstood Book

    We shouldn't be judged by our appearance and neither should books - was the thought here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How bout an ugly duckling. Not very bookish sounding but kind of conveys that sense that the book could be good even though it looks ugly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)