Tuesday, May 22, 2007

MEME: Favorite Books

I've seen this meme at a few blogs, so I don't know who I properly gakked it from. And even though I copied it from someone, it's taken me so long to come up with the perfect books, and I know I've forgotten a ton of books that I'm sure I meant to pick.

A book that made you cry: I cry really easily in books. I bawl and bawl, so absorbed in the novel. The most recent book was "the perks of being a wallflower", but Anne of Green Gables gets me every time Matthew's name is mentioned.
A book that scared you: Misery by Stepehn King, or The Deep End of the Ocean
A book that made you laugh: Bridget Jones cracks me up, especially when she is on the phone with her 'smug married' friends.
A book that disgusted you: On South Mountain, a true story about a Maritime family, the Golers, who were charged with horrifying cases of incest and abuse. Everyone in the community knew them, and about them, but did nothing for years.

A book you loved in elementary school: I read a lot in elementary, but Gordon Korman's This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall with Bruno and Boots would be right up there.
A book you loved in middle school: I remember loving Cue for Treason, a novel we studied in grade nine. Much like Shakespeare in Love; there was a mystery, and a girl pretending to be a boy to be able to act as the female roles in the plays.
A book you loved in high school: I can't remember what all I read during high school and university, they blend together. I'm guessing Stepehn King's Different Seasons
A book you hated in high school: The Lord of the Flies. Horrid, horrid book.
A book you loved in college: I went through a big Stephen King phase in university, so probably The Stand
A book that challenged your identity: I don't know if I've ever really read a book like this, or if I noticed. But A Fine Balance made me think about life, and my attitude to dealing with what life hands you.

A series that you love: There are many. Anne of Green Gables is a great series. I read this every few years, the whole 8 books.
Your favorite horror book: Stephen King's It
Your favorite science fiction book: This isn't a genre I tend to read much of. I guess it would be Hitchhiker's Guide, but I've only read that in the last two months.
Your favorite fantasy: Is this where Harry Potter would go? I've enjoyed this series.
Your favorite mystery: I have to pick one? There are so many series. I've been rereading some Agatha Christie, so I'll pick her. I hope Brother Cadfael, Inspector Lynley, Thomas Pitt, and the 87th precinct don't get mad at me.
I could break this down:
Best historical mystery: Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters
Best police procedural: the 87th precinct by Ed McBain

Your favorite biography: The Story of Helen Keller
Your favorite "coming of age" book: perks of being a wallflower was the most recent I can think of; it was excellent
Your favorite classic: The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde
Your favorite romance book: Bridget Jones' Diary Oh, Mark Darcy, I won't make fun of your reindeer jumper.
Your favorite historical fiction: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Your favorite cookbook: The Best of the Best by the Best of the Bridge girls.
Your favorite book not on this list: The Life of Pi