Thursday, April 5, 2007

MEME: Booking Through Thursday

Truly Biblical

Booking Through Thursday

  1. Just out of curiosity, as we enter into Passover and Easter season... have you ever read the Bible? Just the odd chapter or Psalm? The whole thing? (Or, almost the whole thing? It's some heavy reading, of course, and those "begats" get kind of tedious.) Haven't read very much, at all. I received a new testament in grade four catechism, and other than passages read in church, I don't read it.
  2. If so, was it from religious motivation or from a literary perspective? Stuck with nothing else to read in a hotel room the Gideon's have visited? Any combination? Any reading at all would be from a religious perspective. I was in Esphesus, Turkey this summer, and I did look up Paul's letters to them when I got home, because that was kind of cool.
  3. If not, why not? Against your religious principles? Too boring? Just not interested? Something you're planning on taking care of when you get marooned on a desert island? Just not interested, and a little boring. There is so much boring stuff to get around to find the good stuff. I don't take things literally in the bible, and it always concerns me that people take everything as the gospel, so to speak, in the bible. It was written by men and their perspectives and alterations and biases are all present.
  4. And while we're on the subject... what about the other great religious works out there? Are they more to your liking? I would find it interesting to study how the bible was written, where the passages came from. And I enjoyed reading The Red Tent, and Pope Joan, historical fiction that takes a small item and builds a whole story around them.