Friday, April 6, 2007

BOOK: The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks


I remember reading this to a grade five class, maybe during student teaching, and I remembered that it was sweet. I picked it up at the second hand book store for my son, and then when the Banned Book Challenge started, I decided to reread it. What a great book!

I forgot the details of the story except that Omri recieves a plastic Indian for his birthday, and a cupboard that magically brings the Indian to life. From there, complications ensue. It was so well written, with wonderful characters and a great theme of the value of human life and the responsibilities of looking after a real person. Omri can't resist showing Little Bear, his Indian, to his friend, who then wants his own little person. Things start getting out of hand. This book was as good as I remembered and I'm glad I revisisted it. I would think the stereotypes of the Indian and his language were reason for banning. Now I need to get my son to read this.

2 comments:

  1. There's a sequel to this book that my DD picked up at the discount book store. She loves them both!

    BTW, of course you're still in the BAFABW drawing... someone's name will be pulled tonight!

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book, and the sequels - I believe there are three. And here's a connection to you! we saw the movie in Charlottetown years ago. It was a wonderful experience with our kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)