Thursday, March 22, 2007

BOOK: The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar

Another book for the Banned Book Challenge. This one I almost didn't read, because it is certainly geared toward junior high school kids. However, Sachar wrote Holes, which I adored last summer, so I gave it a try. It was very short - I read it in one night, while watching TV, but it does a good job of identifying the horrible problems of fitting it,and what to do when your so-called friends turn on you. Why are children so mean? David's friend, Scott, has decided he wants to be cool, so Scott starts hanging around with two of the popular guys. It was different to read this from a boys point of view, usually it's girls who get this treatment, in books at least. Anyway, they pull a prank on an old lady, who curses David, who was long for the prank as he was still trying to fit in with the jerks. He spends the rest of the book trying to break the curse, stand up to the bullies, make some new firends, and talk to a girl.
One thing I never understand with kids is the 'mean' thing. It was one thing to drop him as a friend, but then they have to actively pick on him and make his life miserable. They couldn't just ignore him, let him be miserable on his own. I'll remember this book to bring out for my son if the dreaded junior high years turn miserable.