Sunday, March 18, 2007

BOOK: The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

I picked this book because, well, Hugh Laurie has been hilarious any time I've seen him on an awards show, in that wonderful way British people can be (I'm thinking of Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, John Cleese, etc) So I requested The Gun Seller from the library. And, cool, it was autographed by Hugh Laurie! I confess I contemplated taking the page out; not really. I imagine it was donated to the library before 'House' was on TV.
The story is an action, military, espionage type story; hence, I couldn't keep track of anyone and who was screwing who. I would never be able to follow the movie. You know, the type of movie where you spend the whole time asking, "Who is that? Are they with him? Or against him? Did he double cross them? What just happened?"
Even though I was somewhat confused, I never let that stop my enjoyment of a funny book. Because Laurie is wry and self-deprecating and very humorous. And I think I figured out what had happened on the last page.
So, all in all, a great read. I was distracted by Laurie, in that his character in 'House' is so in my head, I could only picture Laurie as the main character. It doesn't take anything away from the novel though, but he will have to play Tom Lang in the movie.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all-time faves! But I agree it does get a bit confusing. For some reason the "I'm sure I'm seen that Grouse before" and the Fleur de Fleurs perfume bits tend to pop into my brain on occasion, even though I know nothing about whisky or Nina Ricci.

    How cool that you had an autographed copy, I'd have been tempted to rip out the page, too, hee hee! :) I see Hugh as Lang in my head, too - I'd love it if they made a movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)