Thursday, August 9, 2007

BOOK: I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I've been reading lots of reviews of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and many readers are adding it to their list of favorite books of all time. Having just finished this book and loving it, I can't imagine how good The Book Thief must be.

Ed Kennedy is a twenty year old cab driver in Australia, with not much hope in his life. He plays cards with his equally hopeless mates, is in unrequited love his best friend Audrey, is on the outs with his family and lives with his very smelly dog. One day he witnesses a bank robbery, inadvertently gets involved, and then his life is never the same. He is given a playing card, with a very vague message on it. Ed takes up this challenge and has to help some people.

I loved Ed's acceptance of his role, his faith in people and especially himself, to know the right thing to do, without knowing why he was doing it. I found this a very uplifting story, seeing how small, seemingly insignificant events can be so important. Ed's bravery to confront people, especially his friends, is quite a message.
How many people get this chance?
And of those few, how many actually take it?
This is a book that will stay with me for a while. Thanks to jill(mrsteme) for recommending it as a part of the Something About Me Challenge.

5 comments:

  1. I am one of those people who really liked 'The Book Thief'. This one sounds like a much different kind of novel, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kookiejar - I do plan to read The Book Thief, and I think this is a little lighter, but still really good. It was a quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be reading The Book Thief early next year most likely. I'll have to look into I Am The Messenger. Your review has earned it a place on my wish list! Thanks for the review and recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently read this one too, and loved it. Loved The Book Thief too. I think I've got a crush on this author and am now on a quest to read anything else he's written. I just finished one called "Fighting Ruben Wolfe" which I also really liked. Next up: "Getting the Girl."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to The Book Thief, Zusak seems like a great author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)