Wednesday, August 15, 2007

BOOK: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

It is hard to read a most beloved book that has earned so much praise. There is such an expectation while you are reading, that the poor book doesn't stand a chance. However, Jane Eyre was a great book and I really enjoyed it. I think if I had read it earlier in my life, I would absolutely love it, because I certainly developed a huge crush on Mr Rochester, but I didn't devour it, my usual judge of books that go on my best list.

I'm not sure what I thought this book was about; I knew there was some crazy person in it, but I didn't realize how wonderful Mr Rochester was and how tremendous of a heroine Jane was. Her confidence in herself, and strength to do the right thing for her impressed me. What a survivor! And Mr Rochester, I loved how she called him that right to the end. The atmosphere was creepy and gothic, wonderfully moorish. There was a little too much of St John at the end of the book, I just wanted Jane! But that is the reflection of the religious themes in the book; I preferred the mystery and love story aspect.

So, I liked the book and the characters. It's not going to be one of my favorite books, but I can see why it is for many people. I'm glad I read it, and wish I'd read it years ago.

12 comments:

  1. This is on my list of books to read that I'm hoping to get to in the not-so-far off future. Your review has me thinking I'd really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. I found the ending muddled, but I think it's because it wasn't focusing on the parts I wanted to read, so I was skimming. You explained it much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Jane Erye for the first time about 3 years ago. I loved it! I'm not exactly sure what I expected either....but it was wonderful!

    I'm just getting back from vacation and trying to catch up on all my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. alyson - I imagine you will like it - it does make most top 10 lists of favorite books

    ctoan - hi! thanks

    stephanie - aaaw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh, you make me want to pick up Jane Eyre and read it again! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a top favorite for me, but I really enjoyed it and it's one I hope to revisit, some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one I strongly considered putting on my top 20 Unreads. It'll appear as a replacement in years to come, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't read this one until recently either and I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. I just wish poor Mr Rochester hadn't had to go through so much to get Jane back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels of all time, but when it comes down to it, I didn't think Rochester was all that wonderful. LOL I would have taken Darcy from Pride and Prejudice over Rochester any day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my all time favorites. I love the movie with Ciaran Hinds and Samantha Morton, too. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favorites. I think because I read it when I was still young. In my mind I was urging Jane to go to him when he pleaded and she loved him so, but then was so impressed with her strength in doing the right thing. I was shortly after I watched Grease and was disappointed that she gave in and gave up her standards. A sharp contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. literary feline - I can't think of Mr Darcy without Colin Firth, and I haven't even seen that movie

    3m - ooh, I'll have to watch a movie version next

    booklogged - but in Grease, he gave up himself for her as well. More of a Romeo and Juliet, without the deaths. Don't dis Grease - it's the movie of my youth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)