Sunday, August 26, 2007

BOOK: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Newbery Winner 1990

Booklogged picked this as one of her selections for the Something About Me challenge. She said: I really like Lois Lowry, both as a person and an author. The other reason I chose this book is because my ancestor are from Denmark, which is the setting for this story.

I liked this book too. It was a very easy read, and sometimes it is nice to read a children's book and get a message in a different method. I'm definitely going to put this one on my kids' pile of books. I also enjoyed the setting of Denmark, and would like to read more books set there, even if it just involves rereading some old Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales. But this book is set during the Nazi occupation of Denmark so it is not a fairy tale at all. Lowry uses an example from the Danish resistance to define the word bravery for children in a concrete, wow, imagine if my life were like that kind of way. I've read two of Lowry's books this year (Number the Stars and The Giver), and each were excellent in very different ways. Thanks for the suggestion booklogged.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this! I've got it on my TBR list for the Book Awards Challenge (I'm doing all Newbery). I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joy - I hope you enjoy it; it is very short, like most of the Newbery's I imagine. Smart challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've read this one, but my son thought it was good. I enjoy reading children's books, now and then, also. Sometimes they can give you a much more straightforward glimpse of a topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book as a child. I haven't read The Giver, but want to. I agree that sometimes its nice to revisit children's books, or even read them for a first time. I just finished Road to Terabithia and sometimes the simplicity of the message is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bookfool - Children's books can give as great a message in much esier form to understand. And some days, it is much easier to think that way.

    trish - Read The Giver. It was wonderful, and one of my first looks at dystopian novels. And I loved Terabithia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked it, Raidergirl3. I read it after reading The Giver and was surprised at how different the two books were. I don't know why, because a good author should be able to write about a variety of subjects.

    Loved The Giver, too. You probably already know this - there are 2 other books that "cluster" with The Giver. Lowry said they weren't sequels. Daughter and I have read them all and thoroughly enjoyed them. Gathering Blue is the weakest of the 3, but still very good; and necessary. The last is Messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really want to read both The Giver and The Book Thief, but I can't ever find them at the bookstore (the cheap bookstore anyway). Alas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. trish - The Book Thief is being released in paperback Sept 11, so I can get it for about $10. I have it on order already!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)