Monday, January 28, 2008

BOOK: Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman

themed reading challenge

Bookies love to read books about reading, and apparently, writers enjoy writing about their love of books as well. This was a pleasant collection of essays, covering topics such as combining libraries between spouses, writing in margins, favorite pens, reading aloud, and second hand book stores.

I enjoyed Fadiman's stories of growing up in a family of devoted bibliophiles, who were fanatical about punctuation and obsessed with book trivia. A slim volume, perfect for an afternoon of easy reading, this book was ideal for my themed reading challenge: books about books.

9 comments:

  1. ooooh....I want, I want. Whimper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bybee - It's not like Hornby, which discussed specific books, it's more generalized book loving stuff, but very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm adding correctly - this is your fourth completed book for this challenge! yay! Technically you've completed it - but I see you have two more books you want to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wendy - actually, it is book #6, and I have started Booked to Die, so I am just about done. I need to read 8 since I am using this for a category in 888. My goal was to finish/just about finish this challenge this month. I did great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. E - I just tagged you for the Make My Day award. Come out and play:

    http://mrstreme.livejournal.com/31843.html

    =) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great book. I love books about books. In an odd way it's a bit of a break from reading actual novels, to read about people who love novels.

    Does any of that make sense?

    In any case, I loved it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite kind of books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really really liked this book as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)