Monday, November 29, 2010

BOOK: Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy

Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy, 421 pages

Typically British Challenge

All the old characters are back, with the focus on a new family. It's been so long since I've read some of the books (Tara Road, Scarlett Feather, Heart and Soul) that some of the characters were a little vague, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment. Binchy writes smoothly, developing her characters, but with lots of plot and events. If you haven't read any Maeve Binchy, I wouldn't start here. It might stand on its own, but there are plenty of references to old characters and having that back story adds so much depth to the story. I flew through the book, and am pleased to enjoy this latest of Binchy's Irish novels. The sense of community and family she portrays is warming to the heart and makes me want to visit Ireland.