Sunday, November 28, 2010

BOOK: Alone in the Crowd by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza

Alone in the Crowd by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza, 225 pages

Global Reading Challenge - South America

Why booklovers will love Inspector Espinosa?
The furniture in his apartment consists of stacks of books around the room, often stacked to the ceiling.
He wishes his Chief of Police job in Rio de Janeiro consisted of two jobs - and  he wants the half that has the philosopher job description - just sitting and thinking about the facts and solving the crimes. Someone else can do the paper work and the meetings part of his job.

Why I love the Inspector Espinosa mysteries?
The Brazilian setting, in the Copacobana neighbourhood, just off Ipamena Beach, is exotic and real at the same time. I want to go!
Police procedurals, with the occasional view of the perpatrator, keep me guessing and on the edge of my seat.
Good team of detectives who work with Espinosa, with their own back stories, and great loyalty to their boss.
Garcia-Roza writes a good local mystery, but also includes global themes, in this case, loneliness in a large city. How a person can live their life without contact, or very little, with other people. How you can live in the same neighbourhood and not know a person.

Why I'm not happy after reading this mystery?
My library has books 1, 2, and 7. I've read them all. I will have to request them to get the rest of the series.