Thursday, November 13, 2008

MEME: Booking Through Thursday:Why Buy?

I’ve asked, in the past, about whether you more often buy your books, or get them from libraries. What I want to know today, is, WHY BUY?
Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?
If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?


I buy books that I want to keep, to be able to reread.
I buy books for my kids.
I buy books when I want to be able to read the book when the feeling strikes.
I buy books for presents.
I buy books at second hand stores or used book sales.
I buy books in the Scholastic order, because it's fun to get books at school.
I buy books after I've borrowed them from the library because I want to be able to look at the book later and remember how much I loved the book.
I buy books for my classroom.
I buy books to replace books I've borrowed that get wrecked in some way (defeating the whole 'borrow a book so I don't have to buy it' concept.)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I buy them for gifts too. I'd like to think everyone can be matched to a book (how well I'm able to play matchmaker is up for debate).

    I may have to buy one that I borrowed from the library, simply because I've lost it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great list which resonates with me!


    Must buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Scholastic orders! Those were the best! And when they had their sales at school, it was like the best week of school for me when I was in elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy books for my classroom, too. In fact, it's almost a problem to know what to do with them all! But, I agree with every single reason you listed and add one more: sometimes it's cheaper to buy the book than pay for the fine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)