Thursday, June 14, 2007

UPDATE: Spring Reading Thing Challenge


Katrina has asked that everyone write a wrap-up post about the Spring Reading Thing. I finished this up a while ago, but she even gave some homework questions to complete! Sometimes school work can be fun however. Here's my list, including links to each review:
1. Reef by Romesh Gunesekera (completed March 24, 2007)
2. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (completed March 25, 2007)
3. A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (completed March 29,2007)

4. History of the World in 10.5 Chapters by Julian Barnes (completed April 6, 2007)
5. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides (completed April 13, 2007)
6. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
book 1 The Golden Compass (completed April 26, 2007)
book 2 The Subtle Knife (completed April 29, 2007)
book 3 The Amber Spyglass (completed May 22, 2007)

What was the best book you read this spring? I can't pick, because the books were so different, and each have different assets. Mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, . . .
What book could you have done without? The Virgin Suicides didn't do it for me, partly because I loved Middlesex and it wasn't nearly as captivating.
Did you try out a new author this spring? If so, which one, and will you be reading that author again? Ironically, the only author I had read before was Eugenides. I plan to read another of Gunesekara, Adams, Barnes, and Chandler. I even have the books for each of these picked out.
If there were books you didn't finish, tell us why. Did you run out of time? Realize those books weren't worth it? I debated not finishing The Amber Spyglass, but I'm so glad I did because the ending was fantastic. Also, how could I not finish the third book in a trilogy?
Did you come across a book or two on other participants' lists that you're planning to add to your own to-be-read pile? Which ones? I'm sure I did, but I can't remember where I got them or from whom. I've been making such a big list of books to read, I think I'm in denial from where they came from.
What did you learn -- about anything -- through this challenge? Maybe you learned something about yourself or your reading style, maybe you learned not to pick so many nonfiction books for a challenge, maybe you learned something from a book you read. Whatever it is, share! I learned I only like to commit to one book per month for a challenge, and I wouldn't pick a trilogy again, because what if you don't like it?
What was the best part of the Spring Reading Thing? the pretty button!!
Would you be interested in participating in another reading challenge this fall? oh probably!
Any other thoughts, impressions, or comments. Thanks a lot Katrina, you were a great hostess

2 comments:

  1. Homework? Hmm. I might. Might not. But, I really enjoyed reading your answers. Congrats on finishing! I'm only half-way and pretty sure I'm going to fail because of books I'm obligated to read and review, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the button. Oh and my homework is never mandatory. :)

    Thanks for being part of the Spring Reading Thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)